Looking for C++ books or tutorials, for experienced C programmers
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for C++ books or tutorials, for experienced C programmers

Looking for C++ books or tutorials, for experienced C programmers

Hi people at the forum,

I consider myself an experienced C programmer. Now, I have to take the next step to C++, but I don't want to go through the typical beginner's topics ( if ..then..else, switch, function calling, pointers, etc.) that I have found in the C++ books I have access.

I would like to find a book written for experienced C programmers. If that kind of book exists ¿can someone at the forum suggest me a title?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

ajf360

Re: Looking for C++ books or tutorials, for experienced C programmers

Accelerated c++
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accelerated-...erated+c%2B%2B
    Note that this does not cover c++11.

c++11 for programmers
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-11-Program...or+programmers
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Quote Originally Posted by ajf360 View Post
    I would like to find a book written for experienced C programmers. If that kind of book exists ¿can someone at the forum suggest me a title?
    In my view the all-time best book in this category is the C++ Coding Standards by Sutter & Alexandrescu. Both authors are prominent C++ experts. The structure is 101 best practice rules. The prose is fluent and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by razzle View Post
    In my view the all-time best book in this category is the C++ Coding Standards by Sutter & Alexandrescu. Both authors are prominent C++ experts. The structure is 101 best practice rules. The prose is fluent and fun.
    It's a good book - but IMO is mainly a good practice guide for someone who already has a familiarity with c++ already. It doesn't really teach you c++ - classes, STL, templates etc. Noe that it doesn't cover c++11.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    It's a good book - but IMO is mainly a good practice guide for someone who already has a familiarity with c++ already. It doesn't really teach you c++ - classes, STL, templates etc. Noe that it doesn't cover c++11.
    Well, I assumed the OP knew C++ already and now wanted more insight.

For this person the book I suggested is perfect. It offers great insight interspersed with coding tips. Okay some tips may be obsolete with C++ 11 but not even compilers are up to that standard yet.

Regarding C++ 11 I think the OP should have on his desk the 4'th edition of the C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup and the 2'nd edition of the C++ Standard Library by Josuttis. Those are the cornerstone references for serious C++ programming with the new standard.

Well, I assumed the OP knew C++ already and now wanted more insight.
    The OP states in post #1 they know c but wants to process to c++ (ie they don't know c++).

Regarding C++ 11 I think the OP should have on his desk the 4'th edition of the C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup and the 2'nd edition of the C++ Standard Library by Josuttis. Those are the cornerstone references for serious C++ programming with the new standard.
    I agree.
    The c++ Programming language
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Programm...rds=Stroustrup

c++ standard library
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Standard...andard+library

Also consider
    Programming: Principles and Practice using c++ by Stroustrup
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming-...rds=Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    The OP states in post #1 they know c but wants to process to c++ (ie they don't know c++).
    Sorry I missed that. Well okay then my suggestion may be is a little too much for the OP initially.

Hi forum, thanks to everybody for your useful advices.

During my search about books I came across this: "C++ for C programmers (3rd. ed)" by Ira Pohl. Publishing date is Nov 98 but the title promises what I was looking for.

Does anybody has any reference about it?

Thank you in advance

It's 15 years old. c++ has advanced considerably since then. IMO I would be looking for a more up to-date book.

Have a look at Professional c++
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional...sional+c%2B%2B
    This covers c++11.

Quote Originally Posted by ajf360 View Post
    but the title promises what I was looking for.
    I wouldn't limit myself to books with "C++ for C programmers" in the title. It's mostly marketing. No modern C++ textbook will focus extensively on C.

You have to be careful because your familiarity with C may become a hindrance rather than an asset. C++ is not just a linear progression of C into a more advanced form. It's a paradigm shift. You're leaving procedural programming and if you cling on to C you'll have a very difficult time.

I would simply forget about C and approach C++ with open eyes as a totally new language. Programming: Principles and Practice using C++ by Stroustrup has been suggested and I think it's a good choise (but note that a second updated edition is due in May 2014).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming-...C%2B%2B+2nd+ed
    Last edited by razzle; December 14th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.

HI there
    I have several very good C++ books you can have for FREE
    I'm in LONDON UK

THANKS

The accu runs a database with reviews of IT-related books: http://accu.org/index.php?module=boo...ws&func=search. Scanning for c++ results in far more than 200 reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by razzle View Post
    I would simply forget about C and approach C++ with open eyes as a totally new language.
    Thumbs up for this....

C and C++ certainly share a lot of similarities because C++ was originally built on top of C.
    But since then both languages have evolved on a separate path.

The common pitfall for C programmers that pick up C++ is that they end up writing "C with objects" rather than proper C++. C and C++ are very much different languages based on different concepts and with different best practices. If you know C, then your advantage is that it has a lot of similar syntax. But it's a good idea to learn C++ as a new language even though you will be able to skim over a lot of the syntax issues.

Also, as a C programmer, one of your challenge will be to avoid using any of the C libraries (especially stuff like printf) and use the C++ libraries instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast