CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Is advanced seaching working properly..?

If I try to run an advanced search for posts containing the word declpsec and my own user name (John E) it only throws up 1 x result. But I'm pretty certain I've used the word declspec in more than one post.!

I know we've had various problems with forum searches since the last upgrade. Is it broken again?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Re: Is advanced seaching working properly..?

I usually use Google:
    Code:
    site:http://forums.codeguru.com/ __declspec "John E"
    gg

Yep, you're absolutely right. Typing that text into Google brings up a whole bunch of results (all of them perfectly valid).

Why can't we make searching work any more on this site? It seemed flawless up until that disastrous, so called "upgrade" that got done last year

I believe we are going the get the indexes rebuilt...

-=Stay Tuned=-

Many thanks Steve. One more thing...

I don't know if it's still the case - but immediately after the "upgrade" users suddenly needed to set a 'limit' on how far back a search would go. The default was to only search about one year's worth of posts.

However.... this operation needed to be done individually for every forum (i.e. it wasn't just a one-off setting which covered your whole use of the site). At that time, a lot of users started abandoning CodeGuru or (as in my case) significantly curtailing their use of it. CodeGuru's a great site but it simply became too troublesome to carry on using it.

Honestly mate, this really does need to get sorted.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

-=Stay Tuned=-
    We can't be in the position where the indexes continually need to be rebuilt . Seaches for the specified crieteria must include always all posts satisfying the specified criteria. IMO the default options need to be all posts for all user names for all dates since codeguru started searching the entire post - with the user narrowing the criteria as necessary.

I agree with John E about this - searching does need to get sorted as IMO currently it's just about unusable and not worth the trouble. I do it the way suggested by Codeplug which is far easier and much more accurate. I keep a browser window open in google just for this purpose!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Steve / Brad etc...

I think we all understand that the last big upgrade caused some irritating problems which have been difficult to resolve - BUT...

To quote probably the best example, I've been here long enough to remember when the Visual C++ forum regularly used to attract visitors in the high hundreds and sometimes had over 1,000 people viewing. At its worst (immediately after that troublesome upgrade) you'll probably remember that visitor numbers dropped to just a few dozen as the site became increasingly unreliable. Admittedly, things have stabilised since than and visitors are now starting to return. But nobody should get complacent. If it's the indexing issue that's causing these problems, someone really should fix it, once and for all.

-=Stay Tuned=-
    Search is still not working properly - so if the indexes have been rebuilt then it hasn't cured the problem and if they haven't this problem still needs sorting ASAP.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Current rumor is that we're looking for a replacement to the built in search function.

Current rumor is that we're looking for a replacement to the built in search function.
    Not before time!

Yippee !!