CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Problem accessing some threads

I have a problem accessing some threads. I have two problems

1) With a few threads when I view the thread, the thread is still showing in bold indicating that I haven't read it when I have. Eg http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...nd-explanation. Note that this isn't happening for every thread, just a few.

2) For some theads that indicate that there are more than 1 page of threads, I can only access the first page. Clicking on the later page numbers, right arrow or 'last' all just reshow page 1. Eg http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...mbo-Box-Height. Again this is not happening for every thread that goes over more than 1 page, just a few.

I've tried it with Firefox (my normal browser) and also IE 11. I get the same problem with each browser on different computers.

Any ideas?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Problem accessing some threads

I couldn't recreate the first one..

However I could recreate the second one... See the attachment. The pic shows 18 replies yet there are only 12....

I'll report this.... Both could be related to the indexes need rebuilding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Steve R Jones; January 12th, 2014 at 05:20 AM.

Having looked at this issue again, all the problamatic threads across all forums have had a last post by

doe0igeq4q0
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Having looked at this issue again, all the problamatic threads across all forums have had a last post by

doe0igeq4q0
    Yes. It he was banned! After that we all have such a problem with captions in bold.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post

doe0igeq4q0
    His or her posts were deleted and no one else has posted since....except for the test post I just did... His name goes away on the next post which is standard.

we did a mass delete of his spam. As Steve mentioned, we'll get the indexes rebuilt to try to clean this up.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Yes. It he was banned! After that we all have such a problem with captions in bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    we did a mass delete of his spam. As Steve mentioned, we'll get the indexes rebuilt to try to clean this up.
    In the meantime, "Forum Actions > Mark Forums Read" at least helps the boldness/unread issue. Caution: Better don't click that until you really have read anything that interests you. Even when picked from a section's thread list page, it applies to the whole forum (i.e. all sections). (Ok, the menu item reads "Mark Forums Read", still I'd find it more logical if it would only pertain to a specific section when invoked from inside it. However, of course, most certainly that's a forum software issue, not a CodeGuru one.)

Man, that spammer must really have dropped a truck load of junk, being able to make a thread of just five posts span over two pages (I've left the page length set to the default of 15 posts).
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    His or her posts were deleted and no one else has posted since....except for the test post I just did... His name goes away on the next post which is standard.
    I would call it a bug, rather than "standard".
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Posting a new message to these threads now seems to resolve the issue. When this issue arises again in the future and mass spam is deleted, can the indexes be cleaned up as well so that this problem doesn't re-appear?

Quote Originally Posted by D_Drmmr View Post
    I would call it a bug, rather than "standard".
    It's very similar to Window's "My Recent Doc" function... Even if you delete one of the documents - it's still shows on the list.

Sure one could call that a bug too... but it's always been that way and we survive it just fine

Even if you delete one of the documents - it's still shows on the list.
    Have a background service that checks MRUlists in the registry for name validity and remove any that aren't. Same principle for object permissions. Service to check validity of permissions and remove those that aren't - ie when a user has been deleted and a specific user has been granted certain permissions (I know - bad practice) or that the global/local groups have valid members etc etc.

Sure one could call that a bug too...
    Yes.

we survive it just fine
    No.