CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

NTFS Operating WINApi

Hallo everyone)) I wonder how can I add logical drives(something like Google Drive) into NTFS using WinApi and what troubles should I expect while working with them? I would appreciate any suggestions, references or qustions) Thanks.

Re: NTFS Operating WINApi

It's unclear what you mean...

If you mean you want to add physical drives/partitions that are formatted in another way than NTFS/FAT, then you need an Installable File System (IFS) Driver.
    If you want to add features on top of an existing file system (such as mounting a CD/DVD image, a RAM disk, ...) then what you want is probably a File System Filter Driver or a File System Minifilter Driver.
    If you want to access a networked drive, you probably want a Network redirector driver.

ALl the above are very technical, require the DDK, and aren't really accessible for novice or intermediate programmers.

If you mean you want to add logical drives to a physical volume (i.e. partition and format a drive), then there's API's for that.

If you want to extend the shell (explorer) so that it appears that "something" is a logical extention of the contents of a directory (such as adding the contents of a zip appear to be a directory), then you need a shell extention.

Maybe you mean something else entirely...?
    Last edited by OReubens; January 13th, 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Re: NTFS Operating WINApi

Quote Originally Posted by XanderMax View Post
    Hallo everyone)) I wonder how can I add logical drives(something like Google Drive) into NTFS using WinApi and what troubles should I expect while working with them? I would appreciate any suggestions, references or qustions) Thanks.
    See if this is what you're looking for?

Otherwise you'll need to write a device driver if you need to tap into the NTFS file system directly, which I would strongly advise against.