CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Driver Testing an error occured deploying the driver(s) in the solution:The system...

I am trying to create a very simple WDM driver in Visual Studio 2013. I have successfully provisioned a virtual pc running win7 sp1 x86 on a wmware machine using serial port. Now that i want to debug the driver, i get the error :
    Driver Testing an error occurred deploying the driver(s) in the solution : The system can not find the file specified.

What is the cause here and how can i solve this problem?
    Here is the snapshot showing the error along with the driver code itself
    Name:  debugg vs2013.jpg
Views: 3743
Size:  90.0 KB
    It is driving me insane, its been almost two weeks that i am struggling to get the very basic sample to compile and run, without any luck!
    I would be grateful if anyone can help me solve this problem

Re: Driver Testing an error occured deploying the driver(s) in the solution:The syste

Any help ? seriously ? Has no one else even tried this?

Re: Driver Testing an error occured deploying the driver(s) in the solution:The syste

Dude, I can only offer to say that I'm in the same boat as you -- meaning that it is virtually impossible to find any resources on this subject. It almost feels like there are 5 people in the whole world who know how to develop Windows drivers, and they don't want to share the secret... I even have a hard time finding the correct forums to post questions. (In my case, in despite of an extensive experience with C/C++/x86 assembler, I now need to learn how to program windows device drivers. I'll PM you more details...)

From what I see on your screenshot, I'd look into your "driver_com", especially where it tries to connect to it, i.e. "\\.\pipe\driver_com". That is where your ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND is coming from.

Other than that, from my own experience debugging via a VM -- this can be quite tricky. I debug using VMware Workstation 9 and it doesn't always cooperate with VS. Thus my preferred method though is to use some soft of text logging instead. (It is less convenient but is more reliable.) I'd usually write my output into a simple text file. Although, I'm not sure what kind of a driver you're developing and whether or not writing to a file system is available?

Quote Originally Posted by dc_2000 View Post
    Dude, I can only offer to say that I'm in the same boat as you -- meaning that it is virtually impossible to find any resources on this subject. It almost feels like there are 5 people in the whole world who know how to develop Windows drivers, and they don't want to share the secret... I even have a hard time finding the correct forums to post questions. (In my case, in despite of an extensive experience with C/C++/x86 assembler, I now need to learn how to program windows device drivers. I'll PM you more details...)

From what I see on your screenshot, I'd look into your "driver_com", especially where it tries to connect to it, i.e. "\\.\pipe\driver_com". That is where your ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND is coming from.

Other than that, from my own experience debugging via a VM -- this can be quite tricky. I debug using VMware Workstation 9 and it doesn't always cooperate with VS. Thus my preferred method though is to use some soft of text logging instead. (It is less convenient but is more reliable.) I'd usually write my output into a simple text file. Although, I'm not sure what kind of a driver you're developing and whether or not writing to a file system is available?
    Thanks alot
    yes info on driver development on windows is scarce indeed and really hard to follow up .
    any way, i asked my question at MSDN and here is the link to my problem and how to solve it .
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...stem?forum=wdk