CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question My first BIG project.

I have a couple questions starting off on something for my wife.

First my background though.

I have taken multiple web design classes. Never really used asp.net before. I have a pretty good understanding of c++ (main language, I have 3 books on c++, 1 as reference). Never really did any windows programming before but I have a really really good go fish program using STL which was my first really big C++ program using classes, functions, vectors, pointers, etc. I'm a little fuzzy because I took a little break but I'd say 6 months of programming experience. I've used MySql (college class) and Oracle. I feel comfortable with that.

As far as web stuff. The most complicated site I have created didn't need / use flash. A couple javascript things. I finally did dabble into java applets for like a week and realized it wasn't hard at all. I have another book on ASP.NET about creating a shop and all the measures for it.

So my questions...

My wife wants me to make a website for a blog for her. She doesn't want to use these "create-a-blog sites" because she wants her own domain. She wants a login (which I realize you most certainly need a database for... mysql) for members etc... She reviews books so... I just wanted to help her out.

So how should I go about doing a secure login for this sort of page? I kind of found a great website for advice. 16 must do things for a secure login using php script and mysql. I just don't know which language I should use / learn. I want something extremely professional for her and I know this will take a lot of time. I thought if I go the mysql route I need a dedicated server... which I don't have but could have but I also was thinking couldn't I just use like oracle and not have one? Sorry if that sounds stupid but I'm completely new to this and I kind of want to start now instead of when I actually set a server up.

Also, with all these new pages now with creative ideas... what ARE people using to create these amazing websites? ASP.NET? PHP? Just plain html w/ flash? Java included? I don't know.
    I just want the BEST way for someone like me to go about doing things / learning things the proper way.

I REALLY REALLY would appreciate any insight on a lot of this and please don't skimp on any info. I really want to thank everyone in advance for any help. TY.
    Last edited by exiledgolem; January 17th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

Re: My first BIG project.

The way I see it, there are two optimal solutions, neither of which involves you writing a whole lot of code.

Option 1: Just go with Google Blogger and buy a custom domain. (which will allow you to host at www.yourdomain.com instead of blogname.blogspot.org). My wife, who is also a blogger, has been using this solution at my suggestion and it works great. She gets a lot of information about where her traffic is coming from and it requires minimum technical maintaince. The hardest thing to do was configuring DNS CNAME records to point to her blog because I used 1&1 DNS registration rather than Google's registration. Presumably Google would be somewhat more seamless.

Option 2: Buy webhosting and run a WordPress blog. AFAIK, it's free, open-source software. WordPress is pretty much a gold standard in blogging and will work well without you needing to commit much (read: probably any) code. I have had overall good experiences with 1&1 webhosting (1and1.com), but you may want to research the hosting company a bit.

Sometimes I think it's hard as a programmer to step back from a project and use an already-developed solution, but in this case you are attempting to implement something in an area that there is already significant mature and stable software available. You could use your time better by just deploying the known solution and working on other projects.

Hope that helps...!
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Quote Originally Posted by exiledgolem
    My wife wants me to make a website for a blog for her. She doesn't want to use these "create-a-blog sites" because she wants her own domain.
    As BioPhysEngr pointed out, the use of a "create-a-blog" site and one's own domain name do not have to be exclusive. My own example is that I have a micro blog hosted at tumblr.com that uses my own domain name.

She wants a login (which I realize you most certainly need a database for... mysql) for members etc... She reviews books so... I just wanted to help her out.
    Are there any special requirements that your wife has in mind as a book reviewer? If not, I think the suggestion of a WordPress blog may work out just fine.

Also, with all these new pages now with creative ideas... what ARE people using to create these amazing websites? ASP.NET? PHP? Just plain html w/ flash? Java included? I don't know.
    I just want the BEST way for someone like me to go about doing things / learning things the proper way.
    I would say that people are using various different technologies, and which technology is the best depends on what you want and what you are capable of.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by BioPhysEngr View Post
    [...]

Option 2: Buy webhosting and run a WordPress blog. AFAIK, it's free, open-source software. WordPress is pretty much a gold standard in blogging and will work well without you needing to commit much (read: probably any) code. I have had overall good experiences with 1&1 webhosting (1and1.com), but you may want to research the hosting company a bit.
    [...]!

I agree! Any web provider will allow you to automatically install wordpress associated to a domain and everything. I've been working under Wordpress for a while and the possibilities are endless, so even if eventually you decide to go a different way Wordpress may still be your friend.

Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by blaurent View Post
    ...Any web provider will allow you to automatically install wordpress associated to a domain and everything.
    While this may be the case, not all web providers will do so for free. GoDaddy and a number of other providers will allow you to install WP onto your site for free.

Quote Originally Posted by blaurent View Post
    ...I've been working under Wordpress for a while and the possibilities are endless, so even if eventually you decide to go a different way Wordpress may still be your friend.
    I TOTALLY AGREE