CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

[RESOLVED] C++ , MFC and create folders in Outlook

Hi Everyone,
    I am wokring on a project that has used an MFC DLL in conjunction with Outlook to send and archive mail. I need to be able to create folders for integration from an older mail system. I have looked online to see if there are examples in C++ (since I have to modify the existing C++ dll to include the funcitonality). I realize it is much simpler using VBA or C#, but I am limited with my choice.
    I essentially want to use the MFC type lib for Outlook 14 and use the CMAPIFolder,CFolders create folders in the Inbox.

here is a sample of the code:
    //I have included the necessary header files

COleVariant covOptional((long)DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND, VT_ERROR);
    //start outlook
    if (!olApp.CreateDispatch(_T("Outlook.Application"), &e))
    {
    ::MessageBoxA(0,"","Please start Outlook and try again!!",0);
    return(-1);
    }
    oNS=olApp.GetNamespace(_T("MAPI"));
    COleVariant profile((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)olApp.get_DefaultProfileName());
    oNS.Logon(covOptional,covOptional,covOptional,covOptional);
    //get inbox folder .
    CFolders cf_Inbox = curStore.GetDefaultFolder(OutlookFolders:lFolder_Inbox);
    if(cf_Inbox!=NULL)
    {
    if (FileName!=NULL)
    {
    createFolderName=CString(FileName);
    if (!createFolderName.IsEmpty())
    {
    CComVariant folderType("IPF.Note");
    cf_Inbox.Add((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)createFolderName,folderType); //<<--- keep getting a member not found error.

}
    }
    }

}

I am not sure if I am going about this the correct way. I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks in advance

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: C++ , MFC and create folders in Outlook

When posting code, please format the code properly and use code tags. Go Advanced, select the code and click '#'.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Sorry for the improper formatting. I wasn't sure how to format. Thanks for indicating how to do it.

Hi Everyone,
    I am wokring on a project that has used an MFC DLL in conjunction with Outlook to send and archive mail. I need to be able to create folders for integration from an older mail system. I have looked online to see if there are examples in C++ (since I have to modify the existing C++ dll to include the funcitonality). I realize it is much simpler using VBA or C#, but I am limited with my choice.
    I essentially want to use the MFC type lib for Outlook 14 and use the CMAPIFolder,CFolders create folders in the Inbox.

here is a sample of the code:
    //I have included the necessary header files for Namespace,Application,CFolders. I have also modified the import statements in the header files to work with outlook type lib 14.
    Code:
    void createOutlookFolders(char* FolderName)
    {

COleVariant covOptional((long)DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND, VT_ERROR); //start outlook if (!olApp.CreateDispatch(_T("Outlook.Application"), &e)) {
    } oNS=olApp.GetNamespace(_T("MAPI")); COleVariant profile((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)olApp.get_DefaultProfileName()); oNS.Logon(covOptional,covOptional,covOptional,covOptional); //get inbox folder . CFolders cf_Inbox = oNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox);//olFolderInbox comes from ::olDefaultFolders enum if(cf_Inbox!=NULL) {
    if (FolderName!=NULL) {
    customFolderName=CString(FolderName);
    if (!customFolderName.IsEmpty()) {
    CComVariant folderType("IPF.Note"); cf_Inbox.Add((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)customFolderName,folderType); //<<--- keep getting a member not found error.
    }
    }
    cf_Inbox.ReleaseDispatch();
    }
    oNS.Logoff(); olApp.ReleaseDispatch();
    }
    I am not sure if I am going about this the correct way. I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks in advance

//************************SOLVED the Issue****************************************
    I think I have solved the issue. The code will only create a folder in the inbox folder. Please see below:

Code:
    void createOutlookFolders(char* FolderName)
    {

COleVariant covOptional((long)DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND, VT_ERROR); //start outlook if (!olApp.CreateDispatch(_T("Outlook.Application"), &e)) {
    } else {
    oNS=olApp.GetNamespace(_T("MAPI")); COleVariant profile((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)olApp.get_DefaultProfileName()); oNS.Logon(covOptional,covOptional,covOptional,covOptional); //get inbox folder . MAPIFolderPtr pInbox = oNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox);//olFolderInbox comes from ::olDefaultFolders enum if(pInbox!=NULL) {
    if (FolderName!=NULL) {
    customFolderName=CString(FolderName); _FoldersPtr inboxColl=pInbox->GetFolders();
    if (!customFolderName.IsEmpty()) {
    inboxColl.Add((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)customFolderName,covOptional);//creates sub folder under inbox main folder.
    }
    }
    }
    }
    oNS.Logoff(); olApp.ReleaseDispatch();
    }
    Users are responsible for memory management OleInitialisation and uninitializations themselves.

Please feel free to provide input or comments.
    Last edited by qwerty1234; March 6th, 2014 at 01:12 PM.

I have solved and tested out the code with MFC using CFolders,CMAPIFolder,CApplication,CNameSpace. I could not find an example online anywhere using C++ ,MFC and outlook 2010. This maybe helpful to someone.

Code:
    int CreateCustom_CORFileFolder(CNameSpace oNS,char *createFolderName)
    {
    	int created=-1;
    	TRY
    	{
    		COleVariant covOptional((long)DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND, VT_ERROR);
    		CMAPIFolder cMAPIFolder_CreatedFolder=NULL;
    		CMAPIFolder cMAPIFolder_inboxFolder=NULL;
    		CFolders  cfolders_inboxColl=NULL;
    		CString folderName;	

if (oNS!=NULL)
    		{
    			cMAPIFolder_inboxFolder=oNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox);
    			if (cMAPIFolder_inboxFolder!=NULL)
    			{
    				cfolders_inboxColl=cMAPIFolder_inboxFolder.get_Folders();
    				if (cfolders_inboxColl!=NULL)
    				{
    					folderName=CString(createFolderName);
    					if(!folderName.IsEmpty())
    					{
    						cMAPI_CreatedFolder=cfolders_inboxColl.Add((LPTSTR)(LPCTSTR)folderName,covOptional);
    						if(customFolder)
    						{
    							//AfxMessageBox(_T("cutomFolder is named: ")+customFolder.get_Name(),0,0);
    							if(!customCreatedFolder.get_Name().IsEmpty())
    							{
    								if (cMAPI_CreatedFolder.get_Name().Compare(folderName)==0)
    								{
    									created=1;									
    								}
    							}
    						}
    					}
    				}
    			}
    			if (cMAPI_CreatedFolder) cMAPI_CreatedFolder.ReleaseDispatch();
    			if (cfolders_inboxColl)	cfolders_inboxColl.ReleaseDispatch();
    			if (cMAPIFolder_inboxFolder) cMAPIFolder_inboxFolder.ReleaseDispatch();
    		}
    	}
    	CATCH_ALL(e)
    	{
    		e->ReportError();
    	}
    	END_CATCH_ALL;
    	return(created);
    }
    good luck
    Last edited by qwerty1234; March 10th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Hi qwerty,

Did you try calling CreateFolder() on the IMAPIFolder interface?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty1234 View Post
    I have tested out the code with MFC using CFolders,CMAPIFolder,CApplication,CNameSpace. I could not find an example online anywhere using C++ ,MFC and outlook 2010. This maybe helpful to someone.
    Check out the following example as it may help you work out how it all works:
    http://read.pudn.com/downloads166/so...eDlg.cpp__.htm

Best regards,

Doron Moraz

EDIT: Notice that running a MAPI-based application usually requires that the user has sufficient permissions to access the data on an Exchange store or personal folders (.pst) file.
    Last edited by Doron Moraz; March 10th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Hi Doron,
    Thanks for your response. I had figured out the solution earlier. I forgot to mark it as resolved. I appreciate your helpful response. Thanks.