CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Issue with using the fourms - cannot edit or post

What has happened to the forums! I can't post or edit as I'm not getting a text box displayed into which I can type! It displays briefly and then disappears! This happens on all our computers using Firefox or IE 11. Using IE8 displays the edit box but doesn't display the editing style buttons above it!

Help!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Issue with using the fourms - cannot edit or post

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    What has happened to the forums! I can't post or edit as I'm not getting a text box displayed into which I can type! It displays briefly and then disappears! This happens on all our computers using Firefox or IE 11. Using IE8 displays the edit box but doesn't display the editing style buttons above it!

Help!
    I confirm this problem for "Quick Reply" and "Private Message" boxes.
    Editbox in "Advanced mode" does work.
    I use Google Chrome.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Advanced mode also doesn't work in Firefox or IE11. IE8 gets the edit box but no editing icons.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Is this happening consistently or hit and miss? I'm not having the issue, but with two of you mentioning it, there is obviously something going on.

Is anyone else having this issue? If so, please chime in and give as much detail as possible.

Thanks!

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Tech suggested:

Suggest that they try a different message editor interface, found in General Settings -> Miscellaneous Options. Disabling WYSIWYG might help.
    Can you try this and let us know if it makes a difference?
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Hi Brad!
    I am now at another PC and it does not have the reported problems.
    Victor Nijegorodov

All is well for me -> IE 10 and Chrome 33.0.1750.146 m.

I also went into Settings-> EDITOR and changed from WYSIWYG to Basic. Bother work OK for me.

FF 17 - I saw the problem...closed the browser to come back and get a screen shot and all is well.

Now seems to have been fixed. Before marking thread as resolved, I'll monitor and report back.

I came back with my favorite browser and was able to create the attached screen shot... I hit the F5 key and am now able to post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That screen shot is the problem I was getting - no text edit box! It's now OK for me but looks like its moved on!

When it was happening here, the edit box/icons briefly appeared and then disappeared - almost as if another window had been laid over them.

If the problem hasn't been identified and fixed, then something weid is going on.
    Last edited by 2kaud; March 6th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Pretty sure it was some sort of page loading issue...could have been an ad that was running at the time?!?!?!? If it happens again - hit the F5 key.... and or clear the cache in your browser.

could have been an ad that was running at the time?!?!?!?
    That's possible - as now that its working again, the ads have changed!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

IE 10 isn't working for me. I just tried to respond to a post and was able to type two lines of text, but when I hit the enter key, it refused to add another line. I closed the browser, retried and even saved the post and then attempted to edit it with no luck. Even in this post I can't add more than two lines.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

As another similar issue is that it's really tough to answer threads from a mobile browser. After you get several lines, you are unable to scroll down in the editor window (instead the complete page scrolls down so you can't access text (often text you've just typed). On mobile dragging the arrow at the lower right corner of the editor doesn't work either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast