CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Parsing a Filename Help

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums. I hope that someone can help me. I am new to VBS also and need to automate a script that I found online. I need the file name to be parsed a bit and I am not sure how to do it.

In the code below I am putting the filename plus "BB" into a txt file but I want to format the output of file.Name. For example, a file name is HHC_TTT_Doe_JOE_2013023.pdf and I just want want "HHC" or "TTT" or "JOE" or "2013023", how exactly do I do it? The lengths of the characters in the file name varies but it is separated by an underscore (_)
    file.Name & " bb"

Code:
     Function ProcessScript      
     Dim folderSpec, file      
     GetUserInput folderSpec, "Please enter the unc path to the source folder", scriptBaseName, "C:\help"     
     If objFSO.FolderExists(folderSpec) Then       
     For Each file In objFSO.GetFolder(folderSpec).Files            
     LogToFile scriptPath & "\" & scriptBaseName & ".txt", file.Name & " bb"       
     Next   
     End If  
     End Function

I just want a way to output the filename based on the underscores. I know there is something like this:

Code:
     File = Split(File.Name,"-")
     secondvalue = File(1)
     firstvalue = File(2)
    I want to be able to do something like this
    Code:
    LogToFile scriptPath & "\" & scriptBaseName & ".txt", file.Name & " bb"  & firstvalue & secondvalue

Re: Parsing a Filename Help

Yes you can use Split() of course in your sample you are using a dash rather than an underscore so that would not work

If you just want to removed the underscores you can use the Replace() method to replace them with an empty string as well.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I tried using :
    Code:
     File = Split(File.Name,"_")
     secondvalue = File(1)
     firstvalue = File(2)
    In my for each loop and it doesn't recognize File.Name, I am sure I am doing this incorrectly.

You are trying to use file for 2 different things in the same section of code. You can't do that

Since File is the object you are using for your for each loop you need another var to hold the string you are splitting from it.

I assume that the file object there would have a .Name property but honestly I do not write VB Script and this really is not the correct place for scripting questions.

Also note that you should not use the word File as a variable name
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.