CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

VB6 SP6 Programming Environment

3 Days ago noticed odd behavior in my VB6SP6 development environment. When I When I call the components menu from the projects menu the controls list is empty on new projects and on existing projects only controls used in the project are show. Both the Designers and insertable objects tabs when clicked say I do not have permission to use object. I am the only user on the PC with full permissions and rights. I have also reinstalled VB6SP6 with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: VB6 SP6 Programming Environment

hmm, can't say I have saw this before.

Are you by chance running it under windows Vista or later?
    If so are you using the run as admin option when starting the IDE?
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

It was my thought too that somehow permissions an a file were modified. I am on XP SP3. Do you happen to know what dll is called for those functions.

Nope, I have been using Vb6 under XP for over 10 years now and never had an issue

Didi you install the SP6 rollup ? That one is known to have some problems, I have not installed it here just VB6 SP6 under XP Pro SP3, works fine all the time

It's not the roll up, I've been VB6ing since it's release. This is the first time I've ever had a issue as well, any idea where I could get info on what OCX or DLL might be the culprit.

I do not think there is any single OCX or dll these I think are read from the system registry.

Probably a dumb question but have you checked to make sure that you do not have a check mark in that little box on the components page

You know the one for showing only what is selected, kinda sounds like it is checked from your description in the OP at least on the components part. The other part is just odd, never saw that before.

I suppose could be some registry issue(s) or possibly corrupted file(s), Virus?

I indeed have the box unchecked, and I agree i think it is a registry issue. I'm going to start to shift my search in that direction. Thaks for your help.