CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Odd question about VS2010 and my project

Sorry if this is not the correct forum for this question but none of the other alternatives seemed more appropriate.

Basically I have a C++ .NET project in VS2010. Over time it's become quite large with multiple tabs and controls.

I've noticed that when I open the designer (form1.h), that it immediately shows as needing to be saved (as if it's been modified).

Very odd.

Any ideas about what could be causing this?

I realize it's a broad question with no source code but I thought maybe I'd take a shot.

Thanks

chuck

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Odd question about VS2010 and my project

What is the exact message?
    Victor Nijegorodov

There's no message. Both form1.h in the designer and in the code view show that they have modifications (asterisk in tab beside file name) although no changes have been made.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Copy the files before opening the designer related ones, then open the files in the designer and save them. Then do a diff on the files to see what's changed.

Done. Good idea. Thanks.

I found that some of my splitcontainers were changing sizes and the splitterdistance changing. Alltough I have no idea why yet.
    Last edited by chuckm; April 9th, 2014 at 01:12 PM.

Interesting. I observe the same phenomenon in the main project I'm currently working on, but, following Arjay's advice from post #7, I found out that both the form's .h and .resx files remain completely unchanged aside from the updated modification time stamp. Looks like something is causing Forms Designer to perform some position/size recalculations, which, however, yield the same result as before, and then writes the unchanged values back to the files.

It seems not to be strictly related to tab controls or the form's size. My form that's currently subject to the discussed effect is merely 290 x 290 in size and contains just two buttons and a table layout panel, which, in turn, contains one combo box and one button (the latter two being meant to be replicated at runtime to make up something that could be described as a scrollable array of control groups). I think it's rather related to container controls in general. I already obsereved this earlier in at least one or two other projects, and IIRC there had always been a split container involved.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.