CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

CMFCToolBarEditBoxButton problem

I am having a problem with the CMFCToolBarEditBox control. I have added the below code:

MyMFCToolBar.h

Code:
    #pragma once
    #include "resource.h"

class CMyMFCToolBar : public CMFCToolBar
    {
    public:
    	CMyMFCToolBar(){};
    	~CMyMFCToolBar(){};

protected:
    	void OnReset()
    	{
    		CMFCToolBarEditBoxButton TBEButton(ID_EDIT_BOX, GetCmdMgr()->GetCmdImage(ID_EDIT_BOX));

ReplaceButton(ID_EDIT_BOX, TBEButton);
    	};
    };
    and replaced the class of "wnd_ToolBar" with "CMyMFCToolBar". It is a standard MFC SDI project using the CMFC controls.
    I have also added a button to the tool bar resource(IDR_MAINFRAME_256) with the resource ID, "ID_EDIT_BOX".
    The problem is that the first time it runs the edit box is visible but inactive. Second time is fine. Also if the tool bar is reset the edit box becomes inactive until the app is rerun.
    I assume it is some problem to do with the previous state of the tool bar being stored in the registry, but I at a loss as to how to correct the behaviour. Help appreciated. p.s. I have Googled the problem but nothing so far fixes this issue.

Re: CMFCToolBarEditBoxButton problem

No ideas at all? Has anyone tried my code and had the same result?

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

If you would like someone would test your code then you should have posted the complete test project, not just a peace of non-compilable code.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thank you Victor for the suggestion. Here is the requested project:MFCTBEditBox_1.zip

Here is some alternate code that adds two CEdit controls to the CMFCToolBar. It is clumsy because you have to use dummy icons to preallocate the space:
    Attached Files Attached Files

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Have you stepped through the code when it does work and when it doesn't to see what the difference is?

I saw the behavior too, but now it shows up every time. How do you reset it so it doesn't show up?

If you go to the "toolbar options" button at the end of the toolbar and click it, you get "Add or Remove buttons" move your mouse to it, you'll see "standard" and "customize...", choose "standard"->"reset toolbar" and you will see the edit box but it won't be active.

Not sure where to step through as a lot of the code is background.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Start with where you're creating the edit box. Debugging is the best option you have. I would think if you'd used it on April 13th, you'd have your answer by now.

I suspect that the CMFCToolBarEditBoxButton is being overwritten with the data from just the button in the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by moffy View Post
    I suspect that the CMFCToolBarEditBoxButton is being overwritten with the data from just the button in the registry.
    But why don't you want to debug your code to confirm or refute this suspicion?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thank you both for your assistance and advice. I lost my projects recently and the only one not backed up was this one, so my postings inadvertently provided a backup.
    Debugging the CMFCToolBar/EditBoxButton can be quite time consuming. I already have a posted solution "MFCEditBox_2.zip" that works. It's not elegant but workable and could be used by anyone else that encounters the same problem.
    Anyway thanks again.

But have you tested your "workaround" well enough to be sure it will work by all the possible conditions by all the possible users?
    Victor Nijegorodov