CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What language should I use for this program? *Beginner programmer*

Hi everyone,

I am a big fan of the board game Settlers of Catan. There is a desktop application that I use to play online, and I would like to begin to learn programming by creating some programs for this game.

First off, I would like to create a program that keeps track of the cards that are distributed to players throughout the game. (This would be my first project)

In the game, players place settlements on the corners of hexagons. Each hexagon has a number assigned to it, and each number represents the probability that the number will be rolled. This probability is simplified into a dot system (hexagons assigned the dice value of 2 or 12 have 1 dot, 3 and 11 have 2 dots, and so on up to 6 and 8 which have 5 dots). For my second project, I would like the program to read the layout of a board and create an overlay of the total number of dots present at each intersection of differing hexagon corners.

I think that should be enough for now. I have more ideas, but I think starting with these two should be more than enough.

What language would be best for a beginner programmer to attempt to create this program with?

Re: What language should I use for this program? *Beginner programmer*

Quote Originally Posted by prettycities View Post
    What language would be best for a beginner programmer to attempt to create this program with?
    I think Java would be a good choise.