CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Selecting 64bit vs 32bit Dll's at runtime....

Good heavens, it feels like it's been age's since i last checked in... Work has me buzzing, and the new house, well I think i've just about redone everything you can think of, Plumming, Electrical, Construction, etc....

Ok why i'm posting now! ...

We've picked up a driver issue with some software on some new Windows 8 systems.. Major problem is that we currently support everything from XP to 8.1 in a single package, Project is way to big to support multiple builds..

First some explaining... the software is a POS (point of sale) app, that use's some external hardware connected via Serial and/or USB depending on the install.. So a single site could have multiple POS workstations, and also some Administrative stations in the back office.. Currently the largest install is 15 workstations.. One key note: this is not a till type app, like in a supermarket... the software actually does Pre-Paid Credit sales to a variety of monetary tokens..

The software is also always in development, because as the hardware is further developed, the POS has to support the features, so we do software upgrades every 6 or so months.. (I'm off to Namibia next month to install and do training on the upgraded software and hardware)..

K background done... Back to the problem... the project was developed when 64bit systems were not in the mainstream PC market yet.. so only 32bit driver DLL's were available, and as such was fully developed with 32bit in mind... For years this has been OK, and even on some of the 64bit machine's the 32bit drivers have worked (through WoW64) .. however, there are more and more systems that we need to install that appear not to fully support 32bit drivers on 64bit OS.. (also specified on this MS windows page).. So now we need to detect the OS type (Easy, got code to do that, but still untested) and call on the right version of driver(difficult part)..

This is a sample block of how the project access's the driver...

Code:
    Module Declarations

'Initializes the Port for 1-Wire access
        Declare Function TMSetup Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger) As Integer
        'One byte communication to 1-Wire network
        Declare Function TMTouchByte Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger, ByVal outbyte As Integer) As Integer
        'Reset all devices on 1-Wire Network
        Declare Function TMTouchReset Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger) As Integer
        'One bit communication on 1-Wire Network
        Declare Function TMTouchBit Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger, ByVal outbit As Integer) As Integer
        'Read the version string of the main TMEX driver
        Declare Function Get_Version Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal ID_buf As String) As Integer
        'Read the version string of the hardware specific driver
        Declare Function TMGetTypeVersion Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal HSType As Integer, ByVal ID_buf As String) As Integer
        'Check to see if the 1-Wire network port session is still valid
        Declare Function TMValidSession Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger) As Integer
        'Request a 1-Wire Nwetwork Port
        Declare Function TMExtendedStartSession Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal PortNum As Integer, ByVal PortType As Integer, ByVal Reserved As String) As Integer
        'Relinquish a 1-Wire Network port
        Declare Function TMEndSession Lib "IBFS32.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger) As Integer

End Module
    And for the 64bit driver, the reference is
    Code:
        'Initializes the Port for 1-Wire access
        Declare Function TMSetup Lib "IBFS64.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger) As Integer
        'One byte communication to 1-Wire network
        Declare Function TMTouchByte Lib "IBFS64.DLL" (ByVal session_handle As UInteger, ByVal outbyte As Integer) As
        ''Etc, etc,etc
    The main issue here is that a single site has multiple versions on window's running at multiple locations, and it is impractical to send the local 'IT' guy two upgrade build's, and expect him to know which one to load where.... (trust me, some of these IT guy's dont even know how to load a USB driver of our supplied CD's)....

Thanks.....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Resolved Re: Selecting 64bit vs 32bit Dll's at runtime....

Don't know if you're still working on this, but you would want to look at dynamically loading the dll's.

See the links below:

https://www.google.com/#q=vb.net+dyn...dll+at+runtime

https://www.google.com/#q=vb.net+dyn...dll+at+runtime
    Good Luck,
    Craig - CRG IT Solutions - Microsoft Gold Partner

-My posts after 08/2015 = .NET 4.x and Visual Studio 2015
    -My posts after 11/2011 = .NET 4.x and Visual Studio 2012
    -My posts after 02/2010 = .NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010
    -My posts after 12/2007 = .NET 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008
    -My posts after 04/2007 = .NET 3.0 and Visual Studio 2005
    -My posts before 04/2007 = .NET 1.1/2.0

*I do not follow all threads, so if you have a secondary question, message me.

Re: Selecting 64bit vs 32bit Dll's at runtime....

Thanks Craig..

You Google Foo is better than mine.. well actually you used better search terms...

I'll be following up on these soon, other progects currently have taken over my time.. We have devices going for SABS testing so most other stuff is put to the side for now...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.