CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Creating a grid in vb

Hi all,

I need to create a two dimensional grid around a point where every point of the grid must be equidistant from each other say 5 m, i.e. This point around which the grid is formed must be at the center of the grid. This grid must be spread over an area of 400 m * 400 m, i.e. in all there must be 1600 grid points. I have to do some further calculations on these grid points.

Can anyone help me in this? I am pretty new to visual basic programming. Do I need to use a two dimensional array for this? Please guide me how to go about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Creating a grid in vb

I need to create a two dimensional grid around a point where every point of the grid must be equidistant from each other
    as database table itself is in 2D . so you can fill your 2D table of your database in one call .see the following . hope it might help .
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim con As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim sqlQuery As String
    sqlQuery = "Select * from Userinfo"
    con.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Records.mdb;Persist Security Info=False"
    con.Open
    rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    rs.Open sqlQuery, con, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
     If Not (rs.EOF And rs.BOF) Then
      Set DataGrid1.DataSource = rs  'here in one call you can fill entire 2d row of recordset in Datagrid
     End If
    End Sub

Re: Creating a grid in vb

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do. It sounds like you are wanting to draw, maybe dots in a grid pattern?
    If so then ignore the post above as a DB and data grid would not be much help.

I don't know what you mean by 5 m? I am assuming that when you say they must all be an equal distance from each other that what you really mean is the point must be an equal distance from the one above, below, left and right of it as the only way that they could all be an equal distance apart would be if they all shared the same space making the distance between 0

You may be able to just use a nested loop

Code:
    Dim X as integer
    Dim y as integer

For x=1 to 400
         For y=1 to 400
             'code to draw the point
         Next
    Next
    Last edited by DataMiser; May 24th, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.