CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Check if a given 8 byte is a valid double

Check if a given 8 byte is a valid double

Hi,

Is there a function in C/C++ that can check if a given 8-byte data block is a valid double value in the valid range?

Thanks

Alan

Re: Check if a given 8 byte is a valid double

You could check that the 8 bytes (held in a double) is neither std::subnormal, std::infinite nor std::NaN.

Then it should represent some number in the "numeric" range.
    Last edited by zizz; May 29th, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

denormals are in "the valid range" so why exclude them ? moreover, infinities and nans are also "valid" in a sense and given that the OP asked for converting an "8-byte data block" to a double, I think he's probably dealing with something like a (portable?) double binary de/serialization problem, that is a different story ... ( hence, byte ordering, binary rep, etc... should be taken into account in this case ... )

1) floating points don't have byte ordering issues, the byte ordering is a specific trait of the type.
    2) 8byte floating points (double) don't have denormals since there is an implied 1 bit in the mantissa, hence it's always normalized. (the same is true for 4byte float)
    This is assuming the IEEE 8byte float representation.

to the OP: I guess it depends of your definition of "valid double value" and "in the valid range".

My comprehension is that any 64-bit bitpattern is a valid double really.

But the OP wanted to know if a certain bitpattern counted as a valid "number" and in that case the tests I suggested would assure that.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    1) floating points don't have byte ordering issues, the byte ordering is a specific trait of the type.
    what do you mean ? note that the OP asked for testing an arbitrary 8-byte chunck of which we don't know where it comes from ...

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    2) 8byte floating points (double) don't have denormals since there is an implied 1 bit in the mantissa, hence it's always normalized. (the same is true for 4byte float)
    This is assuming the IEEE 8byte float representation.
    I also don't get this. the point of my post was not to claim that denormals existed or not assuming a binary representation, but whether they do represent a valid numrical value or not.

Quote Originally Posted by zizz View Post
    My comprehension is that any 64-bit bitpattern is a valid double really.

But the OP wanted to know if a certain bitpattern counted as a valid "number" and in that case the tests I suggested would assure that.
    there are invalid 64bit patterns for a double. (not a number or NAN's)

a 64bit floating point variable may be a double, it might be a custom floating point type that is not the same as a double and has different layout. Hence why I refered to IEEE format.

Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    what do you mean ? note that the OP asked for testing an arbitrary 8-byte chunck of which we don't know where it comes from ...
    if it's an IEEE type, then the byte ordering is inate of the type, it doesn't matter if it's on a intel machine or a Motorola 68000
    only integers have "endianness".

I also don't get this. the point of my post was not to claim that denormals existed or not assuming a binary representation, but whether they do represent a valid numrical value or not.
    you mentioned denormals
    I mentioned denormals can't happen in a double.
    nothing more.

denormals may be valid or not, depending on your definition of "valid".
    allowing denormals means there may be multiple representations of the same value, that may be "invalid" for some tests.