CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

check if input is an integer

I have been trying to make a very simply programme that checks if the inputted information is an integer or not (i.e: that it contains no other characters).

I have tried using the isdigit function (but this only works for single characters)
    i have tried cin.clear, cin.ignore (1000) but this doesn't work either..

can someone please suggest an effective way to check if x in the following programme has been entered correctly

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    cout << "Please enter an integer (positive or negative)" << endl;
    int x;
    cin >> x;
    HERE I WOULD LIKE CODE TO CHECK IF THE USERS INPUT IS VALID
    }

thanks

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: check if input is an integer

If the input isn't valid for the type expected for stream extraction, then the state of the stream changes from good to fail. So to check that the users input was valid, check that the state of the stream is not good. See http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/ios/ios/fail/.

The easiest way to do this is
    Code:
    if (cin >> x) {
    //input was good
    } else {
    //input was bad
    cin.clear();
    }
    or often
    Code:
    while (cin >> x) {
    //stream good code
    }
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: check if input is an integer

if you want a "could a string be interpreted as an integer" type routine that is independant of io (you don't need the actual int value), then the obvious way to test this is via a regex.

if you want the actual int value out of that too, then io streams, or stringstream would be the way.

alternatively you can also do it "oldschool" style with strtoul()