CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HTTP Request

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: HTTP Request

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    Now there is already a 3rd party application. I have develop a Win32 DLL that will have an HTTP Interface, for which it will use WinHTTP. This DLL will simple communicate with the toolbar and store various parameters. So how can I accomplish this?
    Why does it need to "communicate with the toolbar"?
    Which toolbar do you mean: standard Chrome browser toolbar or Google toolbar-plugin for other browsers (aka Google toolbar)? In anyway you will need to search for documentation of the tool and its interface.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Why does it need to "communicate with the toolbar"?
    Which toolbar do you mean: standard Chrome browser toolbar or Google toolbar-plugin for other browsers (aka Google toolbar)? In anyway you will need to search for documentation of the tool and its interface.
    The toolbar uses XML DOM to capture the html elements of a currently loaded webpage, then from there it searches for any suspecious hidden button, or hidden drame or any other suspecious material that has link to some spyware site, highlights that element and send information to an anti-malware.

With IE and FireFox it used to directly communicate with that anti-malware. With chrome I have to create a middle level layer that is a win32 DLL, which has to communicate with the Chrome toolbar, and then send that infomation to the anti-malware.
    Last edited by maverick786us; July 3rd, 2014 at 09:13 AM.

... With chrome I have to create a middle level layer that is a win32 DLL, which has to communicate with the Chrome toolbar, and then send that infomation to the anti-malware.
    Well, what is your problem in this context?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Well, what is your problem in this context?
    Need some initial steps so that I can establish a communication between chrome toolbar and the DLL

Well, again:
    1. It has nothing to do with HTTP.
    2. Search fo the chrom documentation (SDK or API or something else...)
    Victor Nijegorodov

The toolbar uses XML DOM to capture the html elements of a currently loaded webpage, then from there it searches for any suspecious hidden button, or hidden drame or any other suspecious material that has link to some spyware site, highlights that element and send information to an anti-malware.
    And in which part do you see the HTTP request involved here? What exactly is sending information to anti-malware?

With IE and FireFox it used to directly communicate with that anti-malware. With chrome I have to create a middle level layer that is a win32 DLL, which has to communicate with the Chrome toolbar, and then send that infomation to the anti-malware.
    Chrome toolbar, I believe, is a DLL itself. So what stands behind the need to have a middle level layer that is a win32 DLL? Why would another DLL be better than the toolbar DLL?
    Best regards,
    Igor

It's unclear if you're talking about the Google toolbar (For API see here: http://toolbar.google.com/buttons/apis/)
    or if you're talking about the toolbar in the chrome browser (this is NOT formally called the "Chrome toolbar" btw)
    or if you're talking about the chrome infobars
    or some entirely different feature of the chrome browser
    or some entirely different feature of the chromium embedded framework

Again, none of the above anything to do with HTTP or HTTP requests. (your Original question)

Accessing the DOM of the loaded html is another entirely different thing yet again which has nothing to do with the toolbar API or HTTP requests. (you seem to be aluding to this in #17, which leads me to believe you're really trying to find out about chrome.infobars (see https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/infobars)

so to close...
    It is utterly unclear what you're trying to do.
    You don't even know which technology/api serves for which purpose.
    How do you expect us to help in any way if you can't even clearly explain what you're trying to do.
    You're better off closing this thread and posting a CLEAR and detailed enough question about what you're really trying to achieve.

The thing to remember here:
    vague questions ->result in-> vague/irrelevant answers.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    Exactly!
    And unfortunately it is what we have here since the last nine days and more than 22 posts!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    And in which part do you see the HTTP request involved here? What exactly is sending information to anti-malware?

Chrome toolbar, I believe, is a DLL itself. So what stands behind the need to have a middle level layer that is a win32 DLL? Why would another DLL be better than the toolbar DLL?
    Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    It's unclear if you're talking about the Google toolbar (For API see here: http://toolbar.google.com/buttons/apis/)
    or if you're talking about the toolbar in the chrome browser (this is NOT formally called the "Chrome toolbar" btw)
    or if you're talking about the chrome infobars
    or some entirely different feature of the chrome browser
    or some entirely different feature of the chromium embedded framework

Again, none of the above anything to do with HTTP or HTTP requests. (your Original question)

Accessing the DOM of the loaded html is another entirely different thing yet again which has nothing to do with the toolbar API or HTTP requests. (you seem to be aluding to this in #17, which leads me to believe you're really trying to find out about chrome.infobars (see https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/infobars)

so to close...
    It is utterly unclear what you're trying to do.
    You don't even know which technology/api serves for which purpose.
    How do you expect us to help in any way if you can't even clearly explain what you're trying to do.
    You're better off closing this thread and posting a CLEAR and detailed enough question about what you're really trying to achieve.

I am not sure if it is called toolbar or infobar. It is an extension, that will display a button on Chrome and Safari. I am able to access DOM of loaded html and able to mark frames. Based on the information it gets from loaded element it will change the color of the toolbar, green or red.

As I mentioned earlier, unlike IE and Firefox chrome cannot directly interact with the desktop application. It can only interact with the desktop application using TCP/IP.

Therefore in this case I have to create a Win 32 DLL that will use WinHTTP to take some values from Chrome extension, these values will be exported in XML format by Win32 DLL and then the anti-malware will read that XML file to perform its task.

With IE and FF the anti-malware was directly able to interact with the anti-malware. But in case of Chrome and Safari, the Win32 DLL will act like a middle level layer to send information from toolbar to the anti-malware.

I hope it clears the queries.

I hope it clears the queries.
    Unfortunately, it's not.

DLL is not a standalone mediator to be safe from chrome process security. DLL is just a module that is loaded by OS to the target process. As long as the process remains the same, the security applied to all its modules remains the same. So I expect your "middle layer" DLL won't be able to communicate with anti-malware once it loads to chrome process. This simple idea was the reason of my asking.

Besides, so far I can see no reason to use HTTP request in local TCP/IP communication, even in case the DLL appears to be loaded to some proxy/mediator process.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not.

DLL is not a standalone mediator to be safe from chrome process security. DLL is just a module that is loaded by OS to the target process. As long as the process remains the same, the security applied to all its modules remains the same. So I expect your "middle layer" DLL won't be able to communicate with anti-malware once it loads to chrome process. This simple idea was the reason of my asking.

Besides, so far I can see no reason to use HTTP request in local TCP/IP communication, even in case the DLL appears to be loaded to some proxy/mediator process.
    The DLL will not communicate, it will simply store XML file in a particular location, which this anti-malware will read.

The flow of information is
    1) The toolbar will read the currently loaded html page, based on that, will communicate with the DLL
    2) The DLL will communicate with the toolbar
    3) Will simply store various parameters into an XML File

That XML File will be read by the anti-malware, It doesn't have to communicate with the anti-malware. My primary concern is how will i establish a communication with the toolbar and the DLL

If you don't see any reason to use HTTP request, then how will the toolbar interact with the DLL
    Last edited by maverick786us; July 7th, 2014 at 07:58 AM.

... My primary concern is how will i establish a communication with the toolbar and the DLL
    Did you search for some Google Chrome SDK that offer you the tools for such a communication? Have you found?

... If you don't see any reason to use HTTP request,
    We do NOT.
    And you seam to not "see any reason to use HTTP request" either! Do you?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Did you search for some Google Chrome SDK that offer you the tools for such a communication? Have you found?

We do NOT.
    And you seam to not "see any reason to use HTTP request" either! Do you?
    Sorry that was an incomplete reason. Yes I am reading the documentation of chrome toolbar, as I am new to it. My point is simple.

Internet and firefix can directly interact with any desktop application, in this case the anti-malware.
    Chrome cannot. So the only way is TCP/IP where HTTP Request is required.

... My point is simple.

Internet and firefix can directly interact with any desktop application, in this case the anti-malware.
    Chrome cannot. So the only way is TCP/IP
    You mentioned it six or more times...
    So implement the TCP/IP using raw sockets. Or you could use MFC CAsyncSocket class.

.So the only way is TCP/IP where HTTP Request is required.
    Is it a (about HTTP Request) from the Chome SDK documentation?
    And what HTTP Request is required for?
    Victor Nijegorodov

the only way is TCP/IP where HTTP Request is required.
    Again, no it's not required. HTTP is much more than TCP/IP communication. And to handle the HTTP queries, on DLL side you have to have at least a minimal HTTP server. It seems this is what you still fail to accept/comprehend.

Besides, you totally missed my point about DLL. In case your DLL's host process is going to be Chrome, how could you be sure you'll be allowed to write to local file system? To safely do what you intend to do, you need to have an absolutely separate process, not just a DLL.

EDIT: man, it just occurred to me that we already spent 30 posts to chew over a couple of simple ideas yet with no success.
    Last edited by Igor Vartanov; July 9th, 2014 at 03:35 AM.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12