Book recommendation for Windows Desktop User Interface/Shell programming?
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Book recommendation for Windows Desktop User Interface/Shell programming?

Book recommendation for Windows Desktop User Interface/Shell programming?

I want to do something similar to Rainmeter.
    I want to do it myself, because I am scared that Rainmeter's third party gadgets would have viruses.
    Thanks
    Jack

Re: Book recommendation for Windows Desktop User Interface/Shell programming?

Quote Originally Posted by luckie7456969 View Post
    I want to do something similar to Rainmeter.
    I want to do it myself, because I am scared that Rainmeter's third party gadgets would have viruses.
    Are you scared you may be downloading a virus infested distribution or are you scared the gadgets themselves may have built-in malign properties that will kick into action once integrated into your code?

Both can be tested for and ruled out. It's a much simpler and cost efficient approach than developing your own gadgets. And besides, being too suspicious isn't good for your health.
    Last edited by razzle; June 29th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.

Re: Book recommendation for Windows Desktop User Interface/Shell programming?

For a guide to Windows shell programming in c++, have a look at Visual c++ Windows Shell Programming http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visual-C-Win...ll+programming

It's a little bit dated but still relevant.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.