CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How to implement a SQL project?

Hello
    For the first time I made a VB project using SQL database (SQL 2012 Express). I did not use connection string. I did use Linq To Sql, so this great functionality do the hard work for me.
    This first project is about a movies managment for a friend of mine.

So, the question is: what I need to do in order to install this "little" program in my friend Windows computer.

I mean, how is to suppose SQL database is gonna work in his machine?

Thanks!!!

Re: How to implement a SQL project?

SQL 2012 Express is free. He can install it, or it can prompt him to as you try to open the file. Why wouldn't you use a connection string in Linq?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    SQL 2012 Express is free. He can install it, or it can prompt him to as you try to open the file. Why wouldn't you use a connection string in Linq?
    Because I do not need to. I just drag and drop any tables I need and Linq To SQL make all the work: database mapping, connection string, etc.

Now, about your response I think it is some complicated because SQL "is too big". I don't know how SQL package install and how to make database works.

All he will need on his computer is the database ( and obviously whatever .NET Framework ). You can use the Script As functionality in SQL to create the queries necessary to create the database and its tables