CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

anonymous namespace qualifier

It has recently been brought to my attention that it is possible to use a namespace as a "qualifier" in the signature of a definition as opposed to using a block. EG:

Code:
    //Begin declarations here
    namespace ns
    {
        extern int i;
        void foo();
        void bar();
    }

//Begin definitions here
    int ns::i = 5;
    void ns::foo(){...}
    void ns::bar(){...}
    I did not know this was possible before, and I like this a lot, because:
    • It avoids a huge useless block/indent.
    • More closely resembles how you'd use static class encapsulation.

What I'm wondering though is: Is it possible to do something similar for an anonymous namespace? A lot of my .cpp files have internal helper functions/objects "forward declared" in an anonymous namespace, and then implemented later. I've tried:
    Code:
    namespace
    {
        void helper();
    }

//Begin implementations here
    void helper(){...} //This is actually a brand new declaration
    void ::helper(){...} //This doesn't compile
    Is there any way to say: "This is the implementation for something declared in anonymous namespace", without actually opening a namespace block?
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Re: anonymous namespace qualifier

1) You do not have to indent on a namespace block.
    In fact it's more common to find it not happening.
    THe only exception if you have nested namespaces, but then you pretyt much open a can of worms about the pros and cons of nested namespaces.
    Now I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong, but if you have nested namespaces without a very good motivation, then you're "doing it wrong".

2) actually
    Code:
    void ::helper()
    {
      // do something
    }
    is the proper way to declare a function explicitely in the unnamed namespace.

BUT

you cannot at the same time declare a function with the same name in global scope.

The reason why should be Obvious, because there's no fundamental difference between calling ::helper() meaning the global function or the unnamed namespace function.
    In your sample, remove the void helper()... line and it should compile and link properly.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    1) You do not have to indent on a namespace block.
    In fact it's more common to find it not happening.
    Yeah, but it still creates a block you have to track where it opens and closes. Not a huge deal, I agree, but it feels a bit messy.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    2) actually
    Code:
    {
      // do something
    }
    Really? Because that doesn't compile for me...
    error: explicit qualification in declaration of 'void helper()'
    Using GCC.
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Using GCC.
    Are you compiling for c++03 or c++11?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Are you compiling for c++03 or c++11?
    With my MinGW, both std=c++98 and std=C++11 produce the same output. Were namespace rules changed with C++11? I am not aware of any changes being made to them with this latest release. Are you thinking about anything in particular?

I'll double check with an actual GCC on linux.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens
    2) actually
    Code:
    {
      // do something
    }
    Like monarch_dodra, I get a compile error when compiling a program with similiar code on g++ 4.8.2, with and without --std=c++11. I am also not able to verify this in the text of C++11. Could you quote the relevant paragraph(s)?

If it is indeed standard syntax, then this looks like a design mistake on the part of the standard committee: in general, ::x means that x is from the global namespace, so having it suddenly belong to an unnamed namespace is confusing.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Actually...

it appears the Original c++11 standard is somewhat dubious as to the exact expected workings in this case, later made prohibited, but for C++14 it's again being taken in for change.
    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...fects.html#482

It works on all three compilers I use on a daily basis (one of them being VC2010/2012, the other 2 are not really anything of a reference, I sort of assumed it was legal since it compiled on all 3. It's quite rare to see all 3 of these agree to the same 'defect' (even if dubious).

So recap
    it's technically an error for c++11
    if it works, your compiler is already agreeing with c++14

It looks like it will be allowed in C++14, but since ::f is a name from the global namespace, this still will not help for monarch_dodra's case of a name from an unnamed namespace.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

I see. That's interesting.

Well, I think I have my answers in regards to the original issue. Thanks all.