CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Which ASCII character to send

I want to send only one character to the other side to signal that there was an error.

I'm looking for a character that never appears in a file.

I looked at the ASCII chart and I thought maybe:

- 127 177 7F 01111111  Delete
    or
    - 129 201 81 10000001

http://www.ascii-code.com/

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Which ASCII character to send

ASCII character 0x81 is the small u umlaut. See http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/
    DEL character (127) can be used by some OS for special purposes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delete_character
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thank you Victor.

Looks like the DEL character should be OK on Windows.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Depends somewhat upon whether a file is type 'text' or 'binary'. In a binary ASCII file any of the characters from 0 to 255 may appear. In a 'text' file 1 - 6, 14 - 26, 28 - 31 and 255 are unlikely to occur.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

It's for binary too so maybe just one character is not the best solution.

Thanks Kaud, that's what I wanted to know.
    Last edited by MasterDucky; July 24th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

You could base64 encode the file contents, then use a NAK (21) (or whatever) in your protocol.

gg

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDucky View Post
    It's for binary too so maybe just one character is not the best solution.

Thanks 2Kaud, that's what I wanted to know.
    What are you trying to achieve? If you are using binary files then any sequence of one or more characters could possibly occur in any file.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    What are you trying to achieve? If you are using binary files then any sequence of one or more characters could possibly occur in any file.
    Thats true.

I would like to signal to the other side that an error occurred and dont wait for the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeplug View Post
    You could base64 encode the file contents, then use a NAK (21) (or whatever) in your protocol.
    Base64 doesnt use all the ASCII characters?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDucky View Post
    I want to send only one character to the other side to signal that there was an error.
    How do you "send" your file?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    How do you "send" your file?
    Windows TCP/IP Send() function.

If all you want to do is to signal an error from the send side, what about just closing the connection? This will be picked up by recv() as an error for which you can test. If you want to resend then the sender can re-open the connection etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeplug View Post

gg
    This looks like the best solution.

Also look at the shutdown function in MSDN.

Besides, this thread is a very good example of how one should NOT ask the question.
    The more reliable question about your problem should have looked like:
    I send a file through a TCP socket.
    If some error occured on the sender side, what should I do or what should I send to the receiver to inform that send operation is broken?
    Then you would have got the valuable answer in some minutes, not in 11 hours!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Yes, but I want to know if it was an error with the connection or with some other operation, like couldn't open a file I asked for or anything else.