CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

A new vb6 project importer is on it's way, but we need your support!

www.xerocoder.com (cross platform ide/compiler) is willing to create a true vb6 importer that is 95% compatible with our current VB6 projects, please let them know you support this idea so we can speed up their development:

goto their forum or email them.

http://forum.xerocoder.com/index.php?topic=273.15

Thanks
    WP

Re: A new vb6 project importer is on it's way, but we need your support!

Since this is not a VB question I am moving it to the proper location.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I was just looking at the link, They claim a learning curve of 8-12 hours for a Novice programmer and 2-4 hours for experienced. Surely they can't be serious. Unless it is almost exactly the same as the environment you are accustomed to using then it would take longer than that to begin to feel somewhat comfortable and much longer to come up to speed on what it has to offer unless of course it doesn't offer much at all.

They do not give much detail on the product as far as the syntax it uses nor features it has and the download link did nothing so I find my self to be skeptical at best.

Edit: Actually the link does work but not under XP and Firefox
    Last edited by DataMiser; August 7th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Same here... Pretty hard to turn VB6 into an iPhone app, in 200 hours, much less 8.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

They claim a learning curve of 8-12 hours for a Novice programmer and 2-4 hours for experienced
    Same here... Pretty hard to turn VB6 into an iPhone app, in 200 hours, much less 8.
    If your read carefully it says actually "The learning curve of XERO CODER is 2-4 hours for an experienced, and 8-12 hours for a novice programmer." and not really programming in general like you imply

We really have invested a lot of energy in creating a cross platform Grid/Cloud environment, which more and more developers use for real live solutions. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Take care.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by plusplus View Post
    If your read carefully it says actually "The learning curve of XERO CODER is 2-4 hours for an experienced, and 8-12 hours for a novice programmer." and not really programming in general like you imply

We really have invested a lot of energy in creating a cross platform Grid/Cloud environment, which more and more developers use for real live solutions. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Take care.
    Cheers
    So the learning curve has nothing to do with actually understanding how to write code using the tool? I downloaded it and checked it out a bit. It looks like it has potential but will take a while to come to grips with in any meaningful way. I would guess that it would take at least the claimed amount of time to just become somewhat comfortable with the IDE in general and much longer to comes to terms with what functions/statements are supported and how the IDE expects them to be written.

I spent about 1/2 hour on it the other night before I realized you had to use the Me keyword to reference an object on the current form. When this was ommitted there was no warning message, no error message just nothing happened. This in itself could add a lot of wasted time to the learning curve. I also noticed that while it seems to support BASIC language it only does so in some cases so it is not really as cross platform as one may be lead to believe initially.

btw I have over 20 years experience and have used many different languages during that time so I think it safe to say that I should be toward the 2 hour portion of that learning curve but it will definitely take longer than that.

That said I do like what I saw and plan to dive deeper into it, if it were to include a method of importing code such as VB code that would be a huge plus, would also be a huge plus if it could compile BASIC code to run on Andriod and/or IPhone/iOS from the looks of it the only mobile devices it supports from BASIC code is MS mobile devices.
    Last edited by DataMiser; August 12th, 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Thank you for this feedback,
    I will certainly create some tickets about the issues you raised.

Cheers