CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Why MSDN is not documenting everything?

Hi, ALL,
    This link explains everything, but it does not tell whether this message is sent for both single- and multiple selection modes or just with single-selection.

I mean this is MSDN - primary source of the documentation for Windows developers. And they expect us - the developers - to find out the hard way...

Thank you and sorry for the rant.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Why MSDN is not documenting everything?

Yeah, some of the MSDN documentation is not the most informative it could be. There's been several times when I wished the provided info had more detail and examples. Whenever I come to use something now I haven't used or used in a different way I always knock up a test case and check it works the way I think it works. I've come across a couple of cases where the documentation has even been incorrect for return values etc! Doh
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

The days where msdn was the authority has long since passed. In my opinion, when members of MS decided to put info into blogs rather than msdn documentation, it was down hill from there.

Nowadays, it's only one source of info. For me, I look in msdn, blogs and general bing or google searches to find what I need.

I would search bing or google for "LVN_ITEMCHANGING vs LVN_ITEMCHANGED"

LVN_ITEMCHANGING and LVN_ITEMCHANGED is sent for every single item in the listview that is being affected by whatever change is happening. So the information in MSDN in this case is complete. If the item is going to be changed or has changed, the notification will be sent.

That could mean a notification for ALL of the items in the list, or just for a single one.