CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Angry PrintTo command in the ShellExecute

Hello,

I'm trying to use the ShellExecute API to print an HTML file to a specified printer passing the "printto" as the command verb.
    My default Internet Explorer is IE 7.0 Beta (I tried this also on IE 6), the problem that also I use the PrintTo verb and I pass the printer name to the ShellExecute, the Print Dialog of the IE.
    Is this a bug in IE? Is there any workaround solution? Please give me a hand.

Re: PrintTo command in the ShellExecute

Quote Originally Posted by mon
    the problem that also I use the PrintTo verb and I pass the printer name to the ShellExecute, the Print Dialog of the IE.
    Is this a bug in IE? Is there any workaround solution? Please give me a hand.
    Maybe it's just me, but could you please rephrase your question?

- petter

I'm sorry that some text missing....

The problem that also I use the PrintTo verb and I pass the printer name to the ShellExecute, the Print Dialog of the IE pop ups. I don't want to show this IE print dialog.
    Is this a bug in IE? Is there any workaround solution?
    Please give me a hand.

You can supply "print" in lpOperation argument, I dont think that there is any way to pass printer name from ShellExecute, you will need to write a program which does so.
    Code:
    ShellExecute(handle, "print", "C:\\MyFileToPrint.Doc", NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Thanks Mr. Krishnaa,
    But you can print to a pecified printer using the "printto" as the lpOperation, and passing the printer name as the lpParameters.
    Any way this is not my problem. When you use the "print" verb, and passing as in ur example a DOC file, it will be printed directly to the default printer without showing the print dialog. But this is not the case when trying to print an HTML file, instead, the print dialog will pop ups. And this is my problem.

Thanks Mr. Krishnaa,
    But you can print to a pecified printer using the "printto" as the lpOperation, and passing the printer name as the lpParameters.
    Any way this is not my problem. When you use the "print" verb, and passing as in ur example a DOC file, it will be printed directly to the default printer without showing the print dialog. But this is not the case when trying to print an HTML file, instead, the print dialog will pop ups. And this is my problem.
    As I said, printto can not be used with ShellExecute, as it is not any standard operation which ShellExecute can understand. PrintTo is a custom shell menu entry which invokes certain executable/command. It is not available on every computer.
    If you are looking for solution for your local computer or where that entry is available then you can find out what command used to handle PrintTo in registry, it might be under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell, note that txtfile is taken as example you need to use the file extension(like htmlfile, docfile etc) for which PrintTo is available on your system.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Mr. Krishnaa,

I don't know why you leave the main idea of the problem and catch the small details.
    I can use the "printto" command and it works fine, and if you want to learn how; I can send you a sample program.

Now, as I said before, "printto" is not the problem. Try the "print" with DOC files and show the behavior of printing to the deafult printer, and after that try it with HTML file, and notice that the PRINT DIALOG will be SHOWN.............

Mr. Krishnaa,

I don't know why you leave the main idea of the problem and catch the small details.
    I can use the "printto" command and it works fine, and if you want to learn how; I can send you a sample program.

Now, as I said before, "printto" is not the problem. Try the "print" with DOC files and show the behavior of printing to the deafult printer, and after that try it with HTML file, and notice that the PRINT DIALOG will be SHOWN.............
    Take a look at this thread, similar to your problem,

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...58140&SiteID=1
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

It is also my thread, no one there can answer my question, and it seems the same here.
    Any way, thanks for your interest and time Mr. Krishnaa.

Looks like I misunderstood you for little while, I was confused with "print to file" menu item added by certain printer application.

Good luck.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

I hope dealing with you in other problems that may have solutions
    Thanks a lot.

http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feed...g-print-dialog

Microsoft has acknowledged this bug and plans to fix it in the next version of IE - probably IE12.