CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

C++ open source project for beginners

Hello all,

I'm reading the PPP book (this http://www.stroustrup.com/programming1.html). Now I'm doing the exercises of chapter 14 and soon I start the 15th chapter of it.
    For becoming a real programmer I heard that I should test my skill in practice, for example, in a team on a project, like an open-source one.

OK, after some research I found that GitHub is one of the best websites offering very good open-course projects. I saw that website and explored it but indeed I couldn't find an appropriate project for myself.
    My C++ knowledge till here by reading books is, types and statements, conditions and loops, vectors, functions, classes and some primary cases of Graphics.
    The problem with the projects of that website is that all of them (or at least all of that I found) are in a high level that I can't understand.

Now my questions is, in reality, is participating in such projects needed for me now? If yes, what good open-source project do you know to recommend me please? It should be a C++ one and in a low level to be useful for me.

If no, apart from that, what else can I do? I like to join in a team.

Thanks guys.

Re: C++ open source project for beginners

As a newbie it is better to just try to find a project that interests you. Copy the source and play around with it.

Only after you have gained significant experience should you try to contact the owners of the project.

A majority of those who publish stuff on github are professionals, even if it sometimes may not look like it.
    Newbie and pro trying to work together only creates conflicts and problems... a recipe for disaster.
    Nobody cares how it works as long as it works

Re: C++ open source project for beginners

Thank you for your opinion.