CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: What is single-user mode/multiple-user mode of an application?

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    IMO for an app (whether web based or however hosted and implemented) to be called multi-user it needs to be able to correctly handle resource/data conflicts. Therefore IMO twitter is not multi-user. It could be described as a multi-instance single-user app.
    Why do you think Twitter doesn't correctly handle resource/data conflicts?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Different hashtags simultaneously updating the same data? As OReubens said in post #14, Twitter made their design in such a way to hard avoid the multiuser conflict issues entirely.

IMO of more interest is whether the codeguru web site could be described as multi-user? Or what about Amazon and **** which involves transactions???
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Different hashtags simultaneously updating the same data? As OReubens said in post #14, Twitter made their design in such a way to hard avoid the multiuser conflict issues entirely.

IMO of more interest is whether the codeguru web site could be described as multi-user? Or what about Amazon and **** which involves transactions???
    Twitter has an easier problem vs. the problem where multiple users want to change the same field of a record. With twitter, the same hash tag gets updated, but this only adds a new list entry to the hash tag. So there never any merging of a tweet.

With regard to CodeGuru being multi-user. The scope of my interest is in coming up with a definition that satisfies the OP in the context of what they are trying to accomplish functionally or programmatically.

I'm not as interested in a one-size-fits all definition - I'll let the academics work on that.

Single-user mode limits access to your company file to one person at a time. If other people are working in the file, they must close the file or exit QuickBooks before you can switch to single-user mode.
    Last edited by bestellen; September 15th, 2015 at 03:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12