CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How to use Perceptualdiff

Hello fellas, newbie reporting in, been practicing my C++ lately a lot, and, im trying to develop something to keep my interest up, i need to learn how to use Perceptualdiff (Perceptualdiff mainsite) , but im having the hardest time of finding any newbie-friendly guides,or readme's or whatever that could get me started on that, so,please,if any of you could help me out,it'd be great.

Re: How to use Perceptualdiff

just a friendly bump, im kinda disappointed that no one even tried to hint at something at least...

first of all thank you, the tool and the papers in the supplied link are really interesting ...

anyway, regarding why you received no feedback; firstly, did you tried asking to the tool authors/support ( there's a sourceforge page, for example ) ? second, what exactly do you have problems with ( using the tool, building the tool, understanding the code, using the code ) ? what have you tried so far ?

It seems to me that Perceptualdiff is a tool that is unrelated to C++ in general, so it is unreasonable to suppose that the users who frequent this forum will be familiar with it such that we can give you hints about how to use it.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Hey guys, finally , i do have to apologize for my childish behavior and impatience, however, thanks for your replies, i am way to new to coding to be able to express myself properly so the more veteran coders would understand easily, i Googled " How to compare two images using C++ " and somewhere along the posts,i've found this Perceptualdiff option to be the top rated among few other options, however, i do not understand how do i apply it to my code or application that i want it to be effective on.

To rephrase my problem , I do not know if this Perceptualdiff is actually what i really read it was(to compare to images with C++ programming) , 2nd, If it is, I dont understand how do i use it, do i write it as a code inside my application,or do i link it to my application as an external option, basically, what i was hoping to hear from someone, is to tell me that im on the right track of finding a solution to compare two images with C++ programming, and possibly someone that has used this tool before.

Please forgive me for my behavior, im new to coding, but im trying everyday to improve because im studying IT and in general specializing on software and such, so C++ is my main focus at the moment, but ... im sure you all can relate, being new to something sucks,and its hard to get on your feet. Thanks for your patience with me

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterr View Post
    I do not know if this Perceptualdiff is actually what i really read it was(to compare to images with C++ programming)
    as far as I can tell, I don't think so; the purpose of that tool is to compute a psychophysically based per-pixel metric of computer generated images to ease unit testing. Hence it's a (very useful but) specialized tool for cg developers, that is, if you need it you should already know how to use it

instead, you'd better explaining what's your goal at higher level, that is, what are your expectations from two images that compare equivalent ? should they be indistinguishable by a casual/specialized observer ? should they represent same shapes ? same conceptual content ? etc ...

Alright, so the general idea is this, for instance, a sample image would be used for comparison with Name Surname Signature, and what i want to do, scan the 2nd picture, that has the same format, Name Surname Signature, and compare them if they are the same or not, thats the basic thought of whats going through my mind