CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is it worthwhile to write an ActiveX module dedicated to drawing charts?

I know the user installation must involve some registry manipulations and
    some other trickery. But the ActiveX way seems to be more modular.
    Is it worthwhile to separate the charting modules from the exe and make an activex dll
    for this purpose?
    Thanks
    Jack

Re: Is it worthwhile to write an ActiveX module dedicated to drawing charts?

It depends on the ultimate purpose. ActiveX is mostly suitable for cross-language applications, or being re-used in a certain family/domain of applications. Or in case your intention is to make some business on selling the component. In the latter case you're going to compete with really big players on the market.

MSChart Control
    Best regards,
    Igor

Thanks.... I don't mind if I could reuse some other's work unless I have to pay a big deal.
    Jack

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

If you don't already know COM, writing an ActiveX control is kind of a big undertaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    If you don't already know COM, writing an ActiveX control is kind of a big undertaking.
    Even if you DO already know COM. It is still kind of a big undertaking (compared to a "simple" library, dll or set of (template) classes).

Quote Originally Posted by lucky6969b View Post
    Thanks.... I don't mind if I could reuse some other's work unless I have to pay a big deal.
    Jack
    Here's an article with source code. It's not charts but it is ActiveX and it draws something,

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...ctiveX-Control