dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Design Patterns and Java Algorithms

Design Patterns and Java Algorithms

Hello,

I've looked over the concepts of Java programming, tested them in code and i understand most of them. I have a problem when i need to make harder programs , this might be because i dont know design patterns and algorithms ... right?

I'm curious what a entry level programmer needs to know to get a job in the field. Right now i was thinking i need to know:

1. The way all big concepts work and most of the keywords.

2. Design patterns.

3. Algorithms.

Could you tell me point by point what i actually need to know for an entry level job and can you tell me which design patterns and algorithms are a must know for that first job.

I want to learn the basics for an entry level job which will give me/force me to learn more by interacting with people in the workplace , learning at home kinda sucks, i would like to get hired and learn there, but i need a good base. THX!

Re: Design Patterns and Java Algorithms

Quote Originally Posted by kytres View Post
    I'm curious what a entry level programmer needs to know to get a job in the field.
    To get an entry level job in programming (without a formal education) you need to be a natural. You need to have a gift for programming and you need to have something to show for it. You must find it easy to solve problems and translate solutions into code and you must have written code that demonstrates this ability. This is the pure artisan way to programming, like someone who just knows how to draw a painting, play an instrument, write a book, sing a song or write a program and have practiced it into perfection all by theirself.

If you're not this kind of person you need formal education. The minimum I would say is some sort of relevant certification from an established provider, like say Oracle or Microsoft. But a M.Sc in Computer Science is a much better bet of course if you're aiming for a successful lifelong career as programmer (in the broad sense).
    Last edited by razzle; November 23rd, 2014 at 05:13 AM.