CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] How to reinstall VS-2012

Hi,
    I uninstalled VS ultimate 2012 yesterday using force installation. Now i am trying to install it again but its saying that trial period has ended. Its asking me to enter the product key.I have downloaded a new copy of vs_ultimate.exe.

Code:
    06/09/2014  11:15 PM        79,454,672 vlcmediaplayer-setup (1).exe
    12/25/2014  01:30 PM         1,240,624 vs_community.exe
    12/27/2014  09:10 AM           979,448 vs_ultimate.exe
    05/01/2014  09:10 AM           486,848 vs_ultimate_download.exe
    05/01/2014  04:22 PM         1,023,872 winexpress_full.exe
    07/25/2014  10:08 PM           860,096 winzip18-dl_c.exe
    11/05/2014  10:54 PM           880,584 winzip19-lan.exe
    Now it has been installed & i can access it through my start as "Blend for Visual Studio 2012". However when i am executing it, its giving me the error that your trial period has ended. If any body on this forum knows the product key please provide me the product key, otherwise guide me how to solve this problem. I have windows 7 on my i5 Laptop.

Zulfi.
    Last edited by Zulfi Khan2; December 28th, 2014 at 05:40 AM.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: How to reinstall VS-2012

VS Ultimate requires a product key that has to be bought. No one here should provide a product key as that would be against licence agreements and is illegal. Once the trial period (90 days) is over the product key has to be entered in order to continue - so if you want to continue using VS Ultimate then you will need to purchase the product key

VS2013 Community is free if you satisfy the requirements. See http://www.visualstudio.com/en-gb/pr...o-community-vs for details.

To buy a VS Ultimate product key see the bottom of http://www.visualstudio.com/products...e-with-MSDN-vs

PS Why did you uninstall it? If you have previously bought VS Ultimate then you will have a product key that can be used (or a commercial version that I don't think requires a product key?).
    Last edited by 2kaud; December 28th, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Hi,
    Thanks. Actually I downloaded a free trial version. After 3 months it stopped working. So i tried to reinstall but it did not work. Then i uninstalled it. Now i am trying to install it again but its not installing it though i have downloaded the installer again.

I tried to download the iso vs2013 community version but its of 6.9 GB. I have a slow internet which often disconnects so it got corrupted. I dont know if i use a download manager it would help or not.

Please guide me how to solve this problem.

Why I cant reinstall vs-2012?

Zulfi.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Even if you did re-install VS2012 Ultimate, it'll do you no good without the product key. Once it has been installed, it 'knows' it has been previously installed so un-installing and re-installing doesn't reset the 90 day evaluation period.

If you have trouble downloading VS 2013 Community, try VS 2013 Express. It doesn't have MFC and some of the tools that Community has but if it has all you need it's a much smaller download. See http://www.visualstudio.com/download...sual-studio-vs Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Zulfi Khan2 View Post
    Actually I downloaded a free trial version. After 3 months it stopped working...
    Why I cant reinstall vs-2012?
    The point of any free trial version software is to allow users to try the software for free during the trial period. This done with the expectation that if users like the software, they will buy it after the trial period expires.

If the software allowed a user to uninstall and reinstall and start the trial period over, it wouldn't exactly be effective at getting users to purchase the software. Understand?

As far as installing the 2013 Community Edition, download the full version (instead of the internet install version).

Hi My friends,
    Thanks for your reply. What you have said it seems logical. However, i installed winzip several times using this technique of uninstalling & reinstalling. As far as VS-2012 ultimate is concerned i found the key from the net & it working. Also i need MFC because i spent lot of time in learning it. I do VS just because of it.

Thanks for your help.

Zulfi.
    Last edited by Zulfi Khan2; December 29th, 2014 at 11:07 AM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: [RESOLVED] How to reinstall VS-2012

Well, some people get this whole software piracy thing while others do not.