CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: GUI design in C++

Question GUI design in C++

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to C++. I'm a Delphi developer and also did a few C# projects. I would love to learn unmanaged C++, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to make a windows forms application in C++ ? (just for windows, no linux). In Delphi, there are hundreds of components available for just anything you wanna make. When I look at Qt framework, I noticed that the number of components are limited and just with basic functionality. Correct me if I'm wrong. I loved the windows forms in C#, just nice drag drop, but I hate the WPF - XAML way of doing things. So, I'm wondering if it's possible in C++ to make nice looking windows forms ? Or should you just design anything directly from the WINAPI, but that seems a trivial task ? Just puzzled...

Thanks a lot in advance for any help !

Steve

Re: GUI design in C++

Quote Originally Posted by stevedeclerck View Post
    I would love to learn unmanaged C++, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to make a windows forms application in C++ ?
    Well, no, because Windows Forms requires .Net and unmanaged C++ doesn't give you that.
    When I look at Qt framework, I noticed that the number of components are limited and just with basic functionality.
    What do you miss?
    So, I'm wondering if it's possible in C++ to make nice looking windows forms ?
    If you mean a nice looking GUI application, then yes that's possible in C++.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Hi Drmmr,

Thanks for your reply. I can't really recall anymore what I was missing, it's already some time ago that I took a look at Qt. Anyway, it doesn't have to be windows forms. Indeed, I meant a GUI application. What do you use ? Is it qt ?

Thanks a lot !

Anyway, it doesn't have to be windows forms. Indeed, I meant a GUI application.
    I'd say the GUI subsystem closest to Windows Forms for native C++ would be Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC). It's included in the free Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition.

Using MFC will make your application Windows only. For cross-platform developments (including Windows of course) I think Qt and vxWidgets are most popular. Both can be had for free (although Qt would rather that you buy their commersial version). Qt is more of a complete application framework whereas wxWidgets is more concentrated on actual GUI features.
    Last edited by razzle; January 21st, 2015 at 02:44 AM.

Hi Razzle,

Thanks for the reply. I thought MFC was no longer relevant. Just checked wikipedia and discovered I was wrong.
    Certainly the way to go then. I don't need linux platform.

Thanks !

I thought MFC was no longer relevant. Just checked wikipedia and discovered I was wrong. Certainly the way to go then. I don't need linux platform.
    Well, at one point not very long ago even native C++ was declared irrelevant.

I think MFC may be experiencing something of a revival by being included in the VS 2013 Community and thus accessible to many more developers. It's essentially the Professional edition you now get for free. Great!

If you later would want do reach other platforms than Windows, wxWidgets is quite close to MFC. In anticipation of such a transition and for reasons of portability in general it's a good idea to prefer general standard C++ over equivalent features you may find in MFC in order to not get too stuck.
    Last edited by razzle; January 22nd, 2015 at 02:26 AM.