CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Troubleshooting high CPU spikes

I am seeing high 100% CPU spikes on some of the CPU cores occasionally on a Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2. It is causing the PC to be sluggish sometimes.
    I try to troubleshoot using process explorer. Found out that these spikes was due to a process called "System: 4". (Refer to attached image)
    I googled and found that this
    System process is special because it doesn’t host an executable image like other processes. It exists solely to host operating system threads for the memory manager, cache manager, and other subsystems, as well as device driver threads. These threads execute entirely in kernel mode.
    When drilled down further using process explorer, I suspect this could be due to srv.sys that causing these high CPU spikes. Would like to understand is there anyway to find out how come this srv.sys is using higher CPU usage than normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Troubleshooting high CPU spikes

Found this article on Microsoft which talk about what could cause 100% cpu usage on srv.sys:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941756

I do find this error in network trace in Microsoft Network MOnitor:
    SMB:R; Transact2, Unhandled Transact2 Subcommand - NT Status: System - Error, Code = (15) STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
    SMB:R; Transact2, Find First2 - NT Status: System - Error, Code = (15) STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE

Any idea on how to troubleshoot further on the network error above? Want to confirm it if it is causing 100% CPU spikes.
    I do see this network error ("STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE") occur in about 100+ error count per sec.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Do you have the file pccntmon.exe on the computer anywhere?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Yes, the PccNTMon.exe is in the folder C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Any idea on how to troubleshoot further on the network error above?
    Well the article referenced provides both a resolution and a work-around. The issue is with Trend Micro.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I have also try to trace the network traffic for a good PC also running windows server 2003. I do see this network error STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE appeared in the network trace but it is not causing 100% high CPU spikes. Thus, this make me wonder that it might not caused by trend micro.
    After that, I did uninstall -> restart -> reinstall back and update it on the bad PC, surprisingly the 100% high CPU spikes seems to go away. Will need to continue to monitor longer and see if it will happen again or not.