CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

OOP to C# to ASP.NET 4.5.1 to Visual Studio 2013?

Hello codeguru community,

I hope this is the correct section to post my thread.

I want to learn how to create websites in Visual Studio Express 2013. After researching the net and resources, it is recommended for me to learn ASP.NET first. So I checked into that and the recommendation before learning ASP.NET is to learn C#. I then find that it is recommended to learn Object Oriented Programming before attempting to learn C#.

I just need to know if that learning path sounds correct, before I actually dive in and start to purchase books and using online tutorials. The reason I am being cautious, is because I was ready to purchase a Kindle Book on ASP.NET 4.5. But luckily I read the reviews and it mentioned that this book made use of Visual Studio Express 2012. Another example is I found a Kindle Book on Beginning C# 2013. In the reviews, one person said that the book is only compatible with the Visual Studio Professional and not the Express edition. I just didn't know if the version of C# packaged with Visual Studio Express 2013 will work with tutorials or books dated before the 2013 release version.

My question is, do I have to be careful on the version of C# or Object Oriented Programming I need to learn in order to use with Visual Studio Express 2013? Many of the tutorials online and books on the subject are dated from as early as 2008.

Thanks

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: OOP to C# to ASP.NET 4.5.1 to Visual Studio 2013?

Rather than using MS VS2013 Express, I would suggest using MS VS2013 Community Edition. This is free from https://www.visualstudio.com/downloa...sual-studio-vs. This is effectively a free version of MS VS2013 professional for non-enterprise application development. The version of c# in MS VS2013 should be compatible with the books dated before the 2013 release with the proviso that the way you use MS VS can vary between versions. So how you actually use MS VS2008 as may be detailed in some c# books for that release will be different to how you use MS VS2013 even though the actual c# code will work with MS VS2008 and MS VS2013. Note that with advances in the .net it does not mean that c# code for MS VS2013 will be compatible with earlier versions.

PS I would not consider it necessary to learn the theory of OOP before learning to program with c#. Given good c# learning materials you will learn OOP alongside learning c#.

You might also consider asking this question on the c# forum http://forums.codeguru.com/forumdisp...rp-Programming
    Last edited by 2kaud; March 4th, 2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: PS
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: OOP to C# to ASP.NET 4.5.1 to Visual Studio 2013?

Thanks 2kaud,

Your answer to my questions will help me select the correct learning path to start coding in C#. I got so overwhelmed the deeper I searched for pre-requisites to learning each of the things I mentioned in my original post. I will use your advice. Thanks for clearing things up for me.