CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What developer skills can build this eLearning platform?

Hi

I am in the process of creating an eLearning platform for students who can teach each other. More specifically I want to build this platform: https://vimeo.com/1143136495

The platform is based on the following API: https://tokbox.com

My question is what type of Developer can build this? The process to build it should not take more than 5 months.
    - Can a student developer build this or should it be an professional?
    - Also, is it enough with one developer or do I need more to build it in less than 5 months?
    - What specific skills should I look for when hiring a developer who can build it?

I am looking very much forward to hear from you! If you would be interested in building it with me please let me know!

Best

Re: What developer skills can build this eLearning platform?

i've looked at the platform.. its not that hard to build any student with good developing skills can build it easily. but yeah if you are going for a student developer than maybe 1 is not enough you need to have at least 2 persons working.. and at last o special skills are required but a good developing skills are definitely required

A dev can work full time on this, so taking 36h/Week for 5 months is a sizable amount of work.

A student can't devote 36h per week on this. And there's periods when you can't count on them at all when they're in exams or on holidays.
    If you can get them to do some of the work as part of their normal schooltime hours, then maybe 6-10 a week, if it's entirely on 'out of school' time, you can prob only count on 4-6h a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Smit View Post
    I have some doubts as for students.
    One possibility is to contact a university/college and investigate whether this project can be turned into a thesis. You can reach out to students directly by setting up posters at campus, or contact teachers at relevant departments. With the right student you will get a very dedicated worker who will toil day and night for up to six months.

BUT after development comes maintainance and this is regardless of whether a student or a professional consultant did the initial work. It won't take long for the effort of maintainance to exceed that of development. And without proper maintainance the project will decay and fail eventually.
    Last edited by tiliavirga; September 21st, 2015 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Smit View Post
    I agree with you in a way. However there are less reliable and responsible students (according to your description). You're a lucky one if find guys like these. Unfortunately there are lots of totally unserious students.
    Certainly. Most students are lazy bastards.

That's why I suggested you raised the ante and turned your project into a thesis project. That means the student must complete your project successfully or they won't graduate.

Cynical you bet, but you know you get a very dedicated student.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

If you are looking for quality, maintainable code, students may not be the best choice.