dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Math for algorithms help

Math for algorithms help

I have a quick question.
    Which type of Math subjects should i refresh myself on for algorithms class??
    Is there any Direct resources i can find for this??

Thank you

Re: Math for algorithms help

"none" ?

if it's an algorithms class, then math should be irrelevant. Although of course basic operations & boolean algebra would be 'need to know', but that's true for all programming in any language.

Unless you're talking about a math class where you develop algorithms.
    Or a class for a very specific kind of algorithms (could be statistics, finance, cryptology, game theory, astronomy, ...), in which case I would hope you know what kind of specific algorithms class it is, and what kinda of other skills you'll need :-)

That isn't to say that many parts of math have their uses in 'general' algorithms, but the same could be said about a lot of other skills and fields of science (and non science for that matter). Everything you know empowers you to make use of that knowledge in new and interesting places.

@OReubens
    Thanks for the reply fella!
    It's a Design and analysis of algorithms class (definitely Computer science based) It's just the mathematics of calculating the growth i'm just kind of confused on. I haven't taken any math in like 3 years so I'm probably just overthinking everything. so yeah I just need help with like basic growth and like nlogn and stuff like that I haven't seen in years.

Thanks
    AO!

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheOmega View Post
    Which type of Math subjects should i refresh myself on for algorithms class??
    You could contact the head teacher and ask how you should best prepare for the course. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first concerned or ambitious student to do that.

If you're talking about performance analysis and the 'Big O notation' to describe function behaviour, then yes, stuff like exponents, and logarithms would be necessary. This is what I classified under "basic operations" or if you want that named as the mathematical field, that would be (a part of) arithmetic.

Another often useful field is combinatorics. Many memory usage behaviours follow patterns that can be described by permutations, combinations and variants. (and it's critical for statictics and chance calculation)

But like I said in my first port, ultimately, also algebra, geometry, trignometry, calculus etc could all be useful to some degree depending on what type of algoritms and what type of analysis you do on them.

and yes, potentially having skills at knitting could have uses for some algorithms as well.