CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: SQL Begginer

SQL Begginer

I am an absolute beginner in SQL. I would like to install the MS SQL Server 2012 on my local machine. Assuming there is no internet connection (this is only for coding and designing stage), what exactly do i need to install from the below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=43351

1. I will not be using Internet on the machine once the installation is done. I will be using a local machine, standalone.
    2. I need something that will help me learn to create DBs and Tables within the MS SQL Server 2012. and I am planning to link those DBs to .net (mainly ASP and C# [or VB])

So from the link above, what files do i need to download and why

THanks
    --------------------------------------------------
    Please pardon me for having bad English.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: SQL Begginer

I guess you need to install Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT) 32 or 64 bit version depending on your system
    Victor Nijegorodov

I have got taht done, it has automatically intergrated itself on my VS2013. I have been playing around a bit with it. its very good.

My concern now is how to use all of it. I am in the planning process of my first project.

Just wondering should i continue here or create a new thread. I can give all the details on the project

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

You might think about picking an area and sticking with it for a while. It's going to be a lot to take in if you try to jump between c#, c++, building web sites and sql.

Choose one and learn it's basics before moving on.

Take sql for example, its syntax and concepts are completely different than the others. You need to understand relational database concepts like tables, joins, queries, inserts and so on, but then you'll need to understand how to interact with sql from a language like c# using ado.net. or Entity Framework.

There is a lot to learn with just with this alone.

very true. Arjay i totaly agree with you. I am actually been a victim of jumping all over the place. learning everything all at once.

I just need to make one basic SQL DB (max 3-4 working tables) so that i can work with C# to do most of the things externally. If i can get a sample SQL project (the entire solution directory) then my life would be very easy. since it was a bit hard for me to find one, i thought to build something for myself.

As discussed with one of my friends, I would like to do hard-core coding in C# and be well versed wtih every aspect of it.

DB is just something i need to understand, C# is my dream

can i get a site where i can download sample DBs in Ms SQL.

attached is the DB that I am trying to work on.
    Name:  DB1.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  27.8 KB

I have with me all the test data.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    You need to understand relational database concepts like tables, joins, queries, inserts and so on,
    Actually, before you even get into how to use a database, you'll need to learn how to design a database.

If what you want is a simple 1 table DB with a few fields, then this won't be of much concern, but then really, you probably don't even need a relational database in the first place and can probably make do with a non-relational database approach.

If you are planning to design a complex database with multiple tables and a lot of fields, then you will need to know how to go from a conceptual database into an actual database schema, properly normalize it and pick your primary, alternate and foreign keys. And there's more complex than that even (which you can probably ignore for now).

A bad database design means your SQL will suffer either in performance or in how easy you can even get a job done in SQL.

btw, the layout in #5 is not properly normalized. In particular the employee table can be improved by additional normalization.

Note that just because you CAN normalize further, that doesn't mean it's always a good idea to do so, there may be reasons why additional normalizing won't be necessary. (in fact, sometimes after normalisation there's a denormalization step where you create additional tables combining fields that were normalized in a previous step, but are now combined in order to have an easier/more performant way to combine things back (at a cost of update performance and additional DB size and complexity).
    In here, since you have a 1-many(unlimited) relation to Job (and another to store), I would say the additional normalisation is necessary, or otherwise, the 1-many(unlimited) relations are incorrect and really be to 1-1 or 1-many(very limited)
    your DB probbaly has no means to indicate 1-many in any other way than 'unlimited', so this will be something to keep as a side note to your DB schema. explaining why no additional normalization was done.
    Last edited by OReubens; July 3rd, 2015 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockx View Post
    If i can get a sample SQL project (the entire solution directory) then my life would be very easy. since it was a bit hard for me to find one, i thought to build something for myself.
    Sometimes, you just need to know what to look for ("northwind" in this case). Here, check these out:
    MSDN: Working with Sample Databases
    MSDN: How to: Install Sample Databases

This is just for my learning process. I want to design that in MS Sql. ive got the code with me, this is not real time.

I wish to link this to a C# app and enter data. later export it to excel.

I understand there is moer to a DB then what I am doing right now, but lets assume I am learning to develop a DB just to make better windows (LAN and WAN) applications. Later i would get someone to develop a massive DB which i can use to develop web apps. Bt i need to start somewhere.