CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Resolved Corrupted DBF file

I have a problem where dbf files will show an incredibly large (not to mention completely impossible) size. Currently, the size reported if I do a listing is over 3 gig. This is obviously wrong since it is stored on a 1gig drive. Any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it?

Re: Corrupted DBF file

If you have access to Visual FoxPro command line window, type:
    SET TABLEVALIDATE 11
    USE "YourTable" EXCLUSIVE && If the table is damaged VFP must display an error here
    PACK && To reindex the table and deleted "marked" records
    PACK MEMO && If you have memo fields
    After doing that, the structure of the table must ve valid, if you want to see fields with invalid data, you can try:
    SELECT * FROM YourTable WHERE EMPTY(YourField) && All records with YourField empty
    SELECT * FROM YourTable WHERE LEN(YourMemoField) > 200 && All records with a long memo field, there can be corrupted data
    Last edited by Steve R Jones; October 24th, 2015 at 03:25 AM.

Hi,tatumbooth,

In the past, I have encountered a similar problem and DataNumen DBF Repair at

https://www.datanumen.com/dbf-repair/

helps to recover all the data in my archive. So I recommend you to try it.

Good luck!

The error as described by you which DBF file is showing is DBF file corruption issue which you also said. Due to corruption you cannot access the table data stored in the database file. I suggest you to first look for any manual methods to perform recovery. If you find difficulty in executing these methods then go for DBF file recovery tool. Always look for the tool which has free demo version available. After finding it effective enough in recovering DBF files than go for purchase. I am giving you here is a link about a DBF recovery tool which also has free demo version available. This tool repairs corrupt DBF file by recovering table and field structure contained in the file seamlessly.