CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Creating arrays with a method

I am just practicing a few things, trying to get the hang of c#. I have very little experience and am teaching myself so some help on here would be much appreciated! I am trying to create a method that would ask the user to input a number and then place that number into an index on the array it is creating. It is set up to use a "For" loop to set the number for each index. After all the indices are filled, it should print out the whole array. I can't seem to figure out how to get the user's input though. Here is my code, hopefully someone can show me what I am doing wrong!

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace C_Sharp_Practice
    {

class Program
      {
         static void MakeArray()
         {
              int[] Array = new int[4];

for (int i = 0; i <= Array.Length; i++)
             {Console.WriteLine("Please enter a number for this index.");
             Array[i] = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine);
                }
             Console.WriteLine(Array.Length);

}
         static void Main(string[] args)
         {
             MakeArray();
         }

}
         }

Re: Creating arrays with a method

I see several problems with your method. In your 'for' loop, you are exceeding the bounds of the array. You are looping until i <= Array.Length; When you start with i = 0, you should run as long as i < the array length. Also, I would declare a temp string variable that you fill with Console.ReadLine(), then convert that string variable to an int.
    When you call Console.WriteLine(Array.Length);, you are just printing out the array length, or '4'.
    Developing using:
    .NET3.5 / VS 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Auricman View Post
    I see several problems with your method. In your 'for' loop, you are exceeding the bounds of the array. You are looping until i <= Array.Length; When you start with i = 0, you should run as long as i < the array length. Also, I would declare a temp string variable that you fill with Console.ReadLine(), then convert that string variable to an int.
    When you call Console.WriteLine(Array.Length);, you are just printing out the array length, or '4'.
    Ok so I understand the part about printing out the wrong thing. I didn't think that part through very well. I am a little confused about the loop exceeding the bounds of the array. Should it loop until i>4 so that it gets 5 inputs? And I tried making an "input" variable, then converting it and assigning it to the array, but it was not allowing it.

Yes, you could pass the array size into the method as a value parameter.
    Loop as long as i < the array length, not i<= array length.
    To display the contents of the array, start with this line, then think of a way to do it in a more generic way.
    Console.WriteLine(Array[0] + ", " + Array[1] + ", " + Array[2] + ", " + Array[3]);
    Developing using:
    .NET3.5 / VS 2010

I don't mean to take away from the main issue at hand but how do I open up a new post. I have an urgent issue I need help with from all you geniuses.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by NMDSPARTAN View Post
    I don't mean to take away from the main issue at hand but how do I open up a new post. I have an urgent issue I need help with from all you geniuses.
    At the top of this thread, you'll see a breadcrumb like: Forum\C# Programming\C-Sharp Programming\Creating arrays with a method

Click on C-Sharp Programming. In the upper left corner, there is an "Open New Thread" button.