CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Compiler can't find 'openssl/e_os2.h'

I've been compiling a dialog based program for a number of years using Win 7 (64-bit) Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. Just this afternoon, for the very first time ever, the compiler complains:
    error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'openssl/e_os2.h': No such file or directory
    Clicking on this error in the this in the Error List shows: (File) ssl.h (Line) 173

Most if not all of my other programs compile as they should.

What is odd about this is that for eons the compilation of this program has worked just fine - only today did it act up.

I have Norton antivirus which will sometimes quarantine or even remove a file that it deems suspicious - but I have no proof that happened.

I changed my browser to FireFox.

FWIW, none of the include headers in this ssl.h file can be opened.

Code:
    #ifndef HEADER_SSL_H 
    #define HEADER_SSL_H 

#include <openssl/e_os2.h>

#ifndef OPENSSL_NO_COMP
    #include <openssl/comp.h>
    #endif
    #ifndef OPENSSL_NO_BIO
    #include <openssl/bio.h>
    #endif
    #ifndef OPENSSL_NO_DEPRECATED
    #ifndef OPENSSL_NO_X509
    #include <openssl/x509.h>
    #endif
    #include <openssl/crypto.h>
    #include <openssl/lhash.h>
    #include <openssl/buffer.h>
    #endif
    #include <openssl/pem.h>
    #include <openssl/hmac.h>

#include <openssl/kssl.h>
    #include <openssl/safestack.h>
    #include <openssl/symhacks.h>

#ifdef  __cplusplus
    extern "C" {
    #endif
    Now this ssl.h folder is included in my application for a module to send and receive email. It's never been a problem before.
    And all of the include files that the compiler can no longer find are, in fact, located in the folder and intact. And yes, the Additional Include
    File properties for both Release and Debug configurations are appropriately set for all (they havn't changed and used to work). But now, when I attempt to run other programs that use the same ssl.h, I get the same error. So something has altered the permission or definitions of my ssl folder. But what and how ? I have previously attempted to exempt any of my development directories from Norton antivirus.

BTW, the ssl.h is invoked by this program: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...t-with-SSL-TLS.

Any clue as to what might be happening here? Norton antivirus ? Windows Update ? FireFox update?
    Last edited by Mike Pliam; March 13th, 2016 at 01:30 AM. Reason: More Info
    mpliam

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Compiler can't find 'openssl/e_os2.h'

Have you rebooted after a windows/VS update? I've had various issues with various programs following updates when no reboot was mandated but disappeared following a reboot. These issues include such things as errors when trying to open a command window stating that cmd.exe doesn't exist!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Compiler can't find 'openssl/e_os2.h'

Please forgive me if I've wasted anyone's time. I found the problem, and it was me. I had set up a LEGACY folder and dragged a number of earlier iterations of the program into this folder should I later need them for reference. Now, the way I make a new iteration of the program is to create a new folder with the same app name with an incremented number appended, then copy 'cleaned' contents of the older app folder into the new one. But in doing so, I forgot to update the Additional Include Files (AIF) property, so the new folder contained AIF information on a much older file that I had moved. Simply re-editing the new app AIF property solved the problem. So there was no conspiracy of Microsoft or Norton, simply my own lack of focus. Hopefully, I will never do that again.
    mpliam