CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Dealing with business incubators. Advice needed

Any entrepreneurs here? I am working on something interesting. I am looking for a place to get services like technical mentoring, seed funding, product design and prototyping etc for my startup. I also wants to register my idea and business legally. But I don't have any knowledge regarding this. I think business incubators can provide these services. But don't know where to start. When searched Google, I found a company which is near my area. But is it safe to share my idea with them? Or do I need to patent my idea before registering in any incubators like this. Please share your advice.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Dealing with business incubators. Advice needed

Business incubators who offer start-up services may also offer patenting registration as well. However, before approaching any person/company I would suggest you document your idea as fully as possible on paper, seal a copy in an envelope (that can't be opened without damage to the envelope) and post it to yourself. When it gets delivered back to you don't open it and keep it very safe! In the event of a dispute over patenting/ownership of ideas you have evidence of your idea on the date of the postmark.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Dealing with business incubators. Advice needed

I a member of a co-working facility that has a focus on start-ups. Additionally, I've talked to a number of people about products, ideas, and other such things they are doing. The most important thing to know is that ideas are worth about as much as a rock on the street - meaning nothing. I have a notebook of ideas that I write down as do thousands of others. An unexecuted idea is nothing. You need to build something or have something you are working to build.

Similar to this, I've been told that this is rarely a unique idea. As such, there are likely others that have written down the idea. Some of them might have mailed the idea to themselves as well. I've been told that if you are worried about your idea being stolen and such, and you haven't executed on the idea, then you are wasting your time.

Execution is what is important. I was told patent laws in the US changed so that you have up to a certain amount of time to file a patent on something you've created. The key is being able to show what you've done.

To your point.... (assuming your post wasn't simply to get a backlink)..... My recommendation is to find a StartUp meetup group or co-working facility in your area. These have been popping up all over the world. There are now 90 co-working facilities and several start-up groups im y state. There were less than a dozen just a couple of years ago. If you find these, then find a person that you can latch onto for advice. Look for a mentor. Many entrepreneurs attending these events that are established will be happy to mentor others. Most want to see others succeed in the same way they have.

Ultimately though, you need to start by building whatever it is you believe is a fantastic idea. Before you do that, I'd suggest you first vet it by a few people to make sure your idea is really as valuable as you believe. I've talked to people who have invested tens of thousands of their own money into building what they thought were fantastic ideas. In asking a few basic questions, it became quite clear that they had a great product that would bring in hundreds of dollars. (and yeah, the math of making hundreds when spending thousands won't entice investors).

This is a bit of a ramble response. Build it. If it is good, you'll be able to get the investors or whatever you need later.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------