CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

msdn "desktops apps only"

Ok so I'm working on my first serious windows app,
    but sometimes I have problems calling certain functions and checking on msdn, I sometimes noticed the specification
    "desktops apps only"...

...how is the differentiation done between desktop app and non desktop apps? is there a certain line of particular command to insert ?
    I think one should be able to write a simple app without specifying a priori if is a desktop app or not...anyway..over to you seasoned windows programmers...
    Last edited by TheLionKing; April 21st, 2016 at 03:48 PM.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: msdn "desktops apps only"

Well, reading the https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh875053.aspx would be a good start...
    Victor Nijegorodov

thanks Master VictorN...I never find these guides lol...

In fact, there may be the following variants:
    • native app - to work without Win32 API (/subsystem:native). Rare bird in our prairies. I made one just for fun, nothing practical, just learning WinNT4 guts.
    • Win32 desktop app - to work in a window station (of interactive or remote/terminal session). Typically people distinguish those as GUI (/subsystem:windows) and console (/subsystem:console).
    • Windows service app - to work in a non-interactive session 0 and be controlled by SCM (Service Control Manager).
    • Windows (D)COM out-of-proc server - to work in a dedicated non-interactive session and be controlled by COM subsystem.
    • Pure RPC (Remote Procedure Call) server - pretty much similar to the previous one, and quite rarely used nowadays due to COM server prevalence.
    • subsystem-dependent - to work in subsystem other than Windows (e.g. /subsystem: posix). Never heard of anyone using it.

Windows service, (D)COM server and RPC app may use either /subsystem:windows or /subsystem:console, as this is to make no difference due to working in non-interactive session. I made services running equally successful in both subsystems.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

And then you have both 32bit and 64bit versions of Igor's list.

hello everybody anyone can explain how to insert text box in win 32 api.c++.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rokyhandsome View Post
    hello everybody anyone can explain how to insert text box in win 32 api.c++.
    Please, start a new thread with your problem and don't forget to explain what exactly your problem is!
    Victor Nijegorodov