CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Reading registry Win32 SDK

MFC registry functions doesn't work in Win32 SDK DLL. Can someone show me how I can read registry using pure Win32 SDK?

Re: Reading registry Win32 SDK

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    MFC registry functions doesn't work in Win32 SDK DLL. Can someone show me how I can read registry using pure Win32 SDK?
    Not sure what you meant by "MFC registry functions", but agree, that can work only with MFC dll.

Registry Functions
    32-bit and 64-bit Application Data in the Registry
    Victor Nijegorodov

• "Pure" raw Windows API registry functions are located in Advapi32.dll, according to MSDN documentation.
    • For keeping MFC application settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, you can use CWinApp methods like CWinApp::GetProfileString, CWinApp::WriteProfileString, etc.
    • For dealing with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or other registry sections, you can use CRegKey which is an ATL class but can be used in MFC applications, as well.
    • Once you are using MFC and/or ATL, it has no much sense to reinvent the wheel by directly using of "pure" raw Windows API functions (except where is absolutelly necessary).
    • Last but not the least: both MFC and ATL methods ar "pure" as well, as long as they are using "pure" Windows API stuff behind.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

One thing that used to be cool about the ATL CRegKey class was that it was a templated class and it didn't require any dependency dll (similar to std::string).

Not sure if this is still true or not. The msdn docs list atlbase.h as a requirement but no library to link to. That tells me it can operate standalone without any MFC or ATL runtime dependencies.

I'd try it.