CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Pointer to incomplete Class type is not allowed

First, let me say I do know there exist 1000 of this question on google. I just haven't found one that helped me.

Basically my program has 3 layers: 1) VB.net DLL --> 2) C++ / CLR uses the managed part to allow it to be used by the next --> 2) unmanaged C++

I get an error in my console test app... So here's the code

VB.net:

Code:
     Public Class Add
         public function Adding(Byval x as Double, Byval y as Double) as Integer
               return x+y
        end function
    end class
    C++/CLR

header AddingWrapper.h

Code:
    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include <msclr\auto_gcroot.h>
    #using "Class1.dll"
    class AddingWrapperPrivate;

class __declspec(dllexport) AddingWrapper {

private: AddingWrapperPrivate* _private;
    public: AddingWrapper();
    		int Adding(double* x, double* y);
    		~AddingWrapper();

};
    CPP --> AddingWrapper.cpp

Code:
    #include "stdafx.h"

#include "AddingWrapper.h"

#using "Class1.dll"
    #include <msclr\auto_gcroot.h>
    using namespace System::Runtime::InteropServices;

class AddingWrapperPrivate {
    public: msclr::auto_gcroot<Add^> add;
    };

AddingWrapper::AddingWrapper()
    	{
    		_private = new AddingWrapperPrivate();
    		_private->add = gcnew Add();
    	};
       int AddingWrapper::  Adding(double* x, double* y) {
    		return _private->add->Adding(*x, *y);
    	};
    	AddingWrapper::~AddingWrapper()
    	{
    		delete _private;
    	};
    Finally, where the error occurs:

Test.cpp console app

Code:
    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include "AddingWrapper.h"
    #include <iostream>
    int main()
    {
    	double x = 3;
    	double y = 3;
    	AddingWrapper* add;
    	*add->Adding(x, y);   //pointer to incomplete class type is not allowed
    	std::cout << "here is the result";

return 0;
    }
    Any insight on how I could fix this thing? I'm about to throw it out the window

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Pointer to incomplete Class type is not allowed

As this is mainly a c++/cli question, I suggest you post this to the c++ cli forum here http://forums.codeguru.com/forumdisp...ed-C-and-C-CLI

This forum is for non Microsoft Visual Studio c++ issues.

[moderator could you move please]
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

My bad, I just saw console application, so I posted here!

However, the forum seems inactive :/

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

It's not that active, but when a new thread is started there is usually a reply fairly quickly.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

[moved from C++ (Non Visual C++ Issues) forum]
    Victor Nijegorodov

Actually, although a C++/CLI wrapper is involved, I'd say this is a native C++ question, at least at this point.

The reason for the error message you're referring to lies in your AddingWrapper.h: There you forward-declare a class named AddingWrapperPrivate, but only actually define it at the beginning of AddingWrapper.cpp. And using a pointer to or trying to instantiate that class is an error anywhere outside AddingWrapper.cpp. There's entirely no need for that class anyway: Simply make your auto_gcroot variable a direct member of AddingWrapper.

Also, you forgot to new a wrapper instance in your demo main(), the * when you reference it is superfluous (it is implied by the ->) and you need to pass the two parameters prefixed by & since they're pointers (what they don't need to be). Finally, there's no need to refer to the wrapper via pointer in this scenario - simply make the wrapper an ordinary local instance variable of main() -, or, if you're using the pointer, you need to delete it before leaving main().
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.