int test = 42443;
    int next = 45454;

for (int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++)
    {
    	next += test;
    }

System.out.println(next);
    My console in Eclipse shows -506627506

Any ideas? If I change the loop count to 1000000000, then the console now prints a positive value: 133226382

Bit confused as to what is going on here.

I'm fairly new to Java so just checking.

Thanks in advance.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Console shows negative integer in addition test

You're overflowing the maximum size of the positive number that can be stored as a signed int number. This is 2,147,483,647. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...lue-of-integer If a positive number greater than 2,147,483,647 is tried to be stored then this is treated as a negative number.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.4.0)

Thank you for the response. Just another question, if this is due to an overflow, then I don't understanding why changing the loop count from 1000000 to 1000000000 results in a positive value? Surely if the former is overflowing, the latter should too?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

It changes from positive to negative to positive to negative to positive.... Overflowing a positive value makes it negative and then overflowing a negative value makes it positive.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.4.0)