CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Connection time

Connection time

My VB6 application can connect to the production database located in another state via internet or to the database located on my developement machine.
    From my point of view the time to establish connection should be less when the local database is used. But in reality the connection to the remote database takes about 2 seconds, the time for the local database is about 15 seconds.
    I have the same difference on 3 development machines.
    I'm using ADO, connection strings are very similar:
    Local:
    strConnectionString = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=(local);UID=;DATABASE=SRSN;Trusted_Connection=Yes"

Production:
    strConnectionString = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=RSRNJCOOR;UID=coord;DATABASE=SRSN;pwd=mypass"

My knowledge in configuration SQL Server is very limited.
    Any advice please.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Connection time

Locally, you are using a trusted connection which is different than production. What happens when you make this the same?

When I use the same format for the connection string for local server
    strConnectionString = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=(local);UID=coord;DATABASE=SRSN;pwd=mypass" I get an error:
    Name:  SQLError.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  49.4 KB

What is correct connection string?
    I'm using local copy of the production database. I do a new copy pretty often. With my current connection string I have an issue with the connection opening time only. I would not want to change the string and make me to do some additional changes in the database every time I create a new copy.

Thank you

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by chapran View Post
    When I use the same format for the connection string for local server
    strConnectionString = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=(local);UID=coord;DATABASE=SRSN;pwd=mypass" I get an error:
    Name:  SQLError.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  49.4 KB
    Well, this error message is pretty clear: just report your DB admin!
    I guess, your local SQL Server doesn't have/know an account with SQL login user name "coord" and password "mypass".
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thank you.
    "Report to your Administrator" is the error handler I wrote. In MSSQL Management studio I found coord user, I reentered the password for it and the error message changed. Now it says that the account is disabled.
    Name:  SQLError_02.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  58.8 KB
    I see coord user in 2 places in MSSQL Management Studio:
    Name:  SQLError_03.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  66.3 KB
    I opened coord properties:
    Name:  SQLError_04.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  39.4 KB

What and where else should I check in order to make the connection string work with similar to production server format?

Thank you

In my initial posrt I gave the database with different name. In reality the same correct database is used for both connections.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

As I mentioned in my original reply, you are use different forms of authentication when connecting to the database (i.e. local using trusted vs. sql user/pw).

To track this down, you are going to have to connect with the same form of authentication (trusted or sql user/pw) to rule out if it's a local connectivity issue or a difference in authentication issue.

This isn't a code problem.