CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: vcproj files

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

vcproj files

For various corporate reasons I've been stuck with VC8 for the past few years but I've finally been given permission to update to something more recent

The bad news is that I have around 11 years worth of projects all in the old .vcproj format from VC8

I'm assuming Visual Studio 2015 probably won't import such an ancient project format - so what would be the latest version of Visual Studio which can still import projects from VC8 (i.e. from VS2005)? I don't mind if it converts them to some other format - as long as it can import them automatically. I don't mind having to do a few tweaks here and there - but I really want to avoid having to reconstruct everything by hand!!
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: vcproj files

I'm assuming Visual Studio 2015 probably won't import such an ancient project format
    Why not put the free version of VS2015 on a (virtual) PC and try it?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks 2kaud. I tried installing VS2015 Community Edition on Windows 10, 64-bit. However, the installation folder it offered was under C:\Program Files (x86)\. To me, this suggested that it was only going to install a 32-bit compiler.

I then tried Microsoft Live Chat but it was closed!

Is there anybody here using the 2015 Community Edition? If so, can they confirm whether it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit builds?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I've used VS 2015 community and it does support both 32 and 64 bit builds - and yes it does install under (x86)
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Hi ..

I have successfully migrated my VC6 (MFC) project to VC 2010 and VC 2015 .

There were lot of errors but I set the proper compiler linker options and right toolset and half of the errors were solved.

Some string function , float values ,time functions etc need to be changed.

Thanks guys. I managed to install VS2015 Community Edition and it looks like it successfully converted an old project from VS2005. The only problem was when I tried to compile one of the files (and needed to set up a local #include folder). In VS2005 this was done under Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories . But when I tried that in VS2015 I saw a message saying:-

VC++ Directories are now available as a user property sheet that is added by default to all projects. Please click '?' for more information.
    Unfortunately, there's no '?' key to click!! And pressing the '?' key on my keyboard doesn't work either. How do I go about setting up any local #include folders etc? I can see how to set them up for a particular project - but it used to be possible to set up global #include folders (i.e. that every project would recognise).
    Last edited by John E; July 25th, 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

It's under Tools/Options...

Hi Arjay - do you mean Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories? If so, that just gives me the message I referred to above.

Eventually, I realised I could open a window called Property Manager. Under each development target is a hierarchical list. One of the list entries is called Microsoft.cpp.Win32.User (or x64/User as appropriate). If I add my #include folders at that point, that seems to make them available for all projects.