CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

parsing xml file using xerces c++

Hello,

I am novice user, trying to parse XML file using xerces c++ on window’s visual studio 2013. I did the following steps:
    1.download and unzip the xerces 3.1.4 file
    2.trying to do sample program of it by setting environment Linker -> Input -> Additional Dependencies: xerces-c_3D.lib (as in the samples projects)--.( lib not found error)
    3. project properties-> C/C++ -> General -> Additional Include Directories.(path upto xcerces like for my program D:\xecerces_download\xerces-c-3.1.4\src\xercesc)
    4. now want to do property-> Linker -> General -> Additional Library Directories:> <full-path-to-xerces>\lib-- but unable to find exact lib file

If I miss something, please let me know. This environment setting giving lots of error like
    1.Cannot open include file: 'xercesc/util/PlatformUtils.hpp': No such file or directory
    2. IntelliSense: cannot open source file "xercesc/util/XercesDefs.hpp"
    3. IntelliSense: cannot open source file "xercesc/util/XMLException.hpp"

And many more..plz help me out

Thanks
    Rupali

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: parsing xml file using xerces c++

In what folder did you unzip this library?
    If you cannot recall it - just search for something like "xcerces"! Or unzip it in some other known folder.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    In what folder did you unzip this library?
    If you cannot recall it - just search for something like "xcerces"! Or unzip it in some other known folder.

I unzip it by name "xerces 3.1.4" in my system's D drive. and even gave path upto src folder as a library..am I doing correct steps?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I would suggest you first search for XercesDefs.hpp and xerces-c_3D.lib. This will determine the full path to the files. What do the include statements look like in your code?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    I would suggest you first search for XercesDefs.hpp and xerces-c_3D.lib. This will determine the full path to the files. What do the include statements look like in your code?

insted of searching XercesDefs.hpp file in VS2015 I add that file by this methode
    right click-->Add-->existing item--> XercesDefs.hpp
    still error is there,I tried this method for many other error also but none of use..

2.unable to find xerces-c_3D.lib file in xerces folder but by reading one similar FAQ on google I add it

insted of searching XercesDefs.hpp file
    Until you know the full path location of the files, you won't be able to provide the right info for include additional include/library folders. That's why I suggested you first find the full folder path to these files.

Search using Explorer or from the cmd line.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

OK. I've downloaded and installed xerces to have a look. On my system, the .hpp files are in the folder
    Code:
    c:\develop\xerces\xerces-c-3.1.4\src\xercesc\util
    as the compiler is trying to find xercesc\util\PlatformUtils.hpp, the I would set the additional Include Directory to
    Code:
    c:\develop\xerces\xerces-c-3.1.4\src\
    Also note that the .lib file doesn't come as standard as part of the download .zip, it has to be built. See https://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/build-3.html#Windows