CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

help with limiting a textboxs max chars

this is my code, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
    Code:
    ConsoleField = CreateWindowEx(NULL, "EDIT", "", WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_VSCROLL | ES_MULTILINE | WS_VISIBLE | ES_READONLY | ES_AUTOVSCROLL, 12, 34, 343, 234, MainWindow, (HMENU)CONSOLE_WINDOW, HInstance, 0);
    	HWND consoleFieldLabel = CreateWindowEx(NULL, "STATIC", "", WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 12, 9, 100, 20, MainWindow, NULL, HInstance, NULL);
    	InputField = CreateWindowEx(10, "EDIT", "", WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | ES_MULTILINE | WS_VISIBLE, 362, 34, 144, 234, MainWindow, (HMENU)INPUT_FIELD, HInstance, 0);
    	HWND inputFieldLabel = CreateWindowEx(NULL, "STATIC", "", WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 359, 9, 60, 20, MainWindow, NULL, HInstance, NULL);
    	SendMessage(inputFieldLabel, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, (LPARAM)"Input");
    	SendMessage(consoleFieldLabel, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, (LPARAM)"Output");
    	SendMessage(InputField, EM_SETLIMITTEXT, INPUT_CHAR_LIMIT, NULL);

Re: help with limiting a textboxs max chars

From MSDN:
    Remarks

The EM_SETLIMITTEXT message limits only the text the user can enter. It does not affect any text already in the edit control when the message is sent, nor does it affect the length of the text copied to the edit control by the WM_SETTEXT message. If an application uses the WM_SETTEXT message to place more text into an edit control than is specified in the EM_SETLIMITTEXT message, the user can edit the entire contents of the edit control.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    From MSDN:
    So what would I need to change to get it to limit the characters?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

This issue only occurs when there is existing text in an edit box before the user enters text. If the need is to limit the total umber of chars in a text box (why?) then one way would be on the text box getting input focus to determine how many chars are already present in the text box and subtract that from the required max total to get the value for EM_SETLIMITTEXT.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

You could handle the EN_UPDATE or/and EN_CHANGE notification to correct the text and its length.
    https://www.google.ch/webhp?sourceid...e+vs+en_change
    Victor Nijegorodov

VictorN, excellent information. Thanks.

Here's how in a partially implemented form dialog I made one phone field have max length of three, and automatically tab to the next textbox. The header file has more, but the max length is in here:

Code:
    void CEmployeeDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX)
    {
    	CDialogEx::DoDataExchange(pDX);
    	DDX_Text(pDX, IDC_EMAIL_EDIT, m_EmailAddress);
    	DDX_Text(pDX, IDC_PHONENUMBER_EDIT, m_Phone);
    	DDV_MaxChars(pDX, m_Phone, 3);
    	*** TRIM ***
    }

BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CEmployeeDlg, CDialogEx)
    	ON_EN_MAXTEXT(IDC_PHONENUMBER_EDIT, &CEmployeeDlg::OnEnMaxtextPhonenumberEdit) ****
    	*** trim ***
    END_MESSAGE_MAP()

// CEmployeeDlg message handlers

void CEmployeeDlg::OnEnMaxtextPhonenumberEdit()
    {
    	// TODO: SELECT SECOND PHONE NUMBERfIELD
    	//AfxMessageBox(_T("Eneterd 3 digits, will tabstop to next control!"));
    	NextDlgCtrl();
    }
    In holiday spirits (lol), anyone got a killer reference to CDataExchange information, and other robust code implementation techniques as VictorN pointed?

(books, links.. or downloadable code, etc)

Best regards,
    Igor