CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Deciding which version of Visual C++ to switch to.

I've been using Visual C++ 6.0 for many years, I'm starting a project refresh (new front end etc) to a large project (3D Cad Based project).

I'm unsure what would be the best development tool to switch to, I'm an MSDN subscriber so have access to all Visual Studio versions.

Its a massive job, so the other option is to stay with C++ 6.0

What's most popular / most stable?

I already use BCGControlBar Pro for there editor & some other functions, but not the main view (which is mainly an OPENGL window ).

BCGSoft have told me they still have many customers using C++6.0 (and in fact use it as their primary development tool!)

So am I changing for no reason?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Deciding which version of Visual C++ to switch to.

Since VC6, there has been many major changes to the c++ language, with c++11 including the most significant. The current version is c++14 with c++17 due for final issue later this year. The current version of VS is VS2015 with VS2017 RC also now available. IMO I would be changing to at least VS2015 to obtain the benefits of the latest c++ version.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Agree with 2kaud. Move to VS2015.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Are you okay with VC++ 6.0 right now? That "project refresh", is it feasible with VC++ 6.0? In case the answer is yes to both questions, you don't need to move to a newer VC.

A very typical thing with projects having a good deal of legacy code is portability. Chances are your code is portable alright, but more chances are your code have issues. Now you are to weigh the odds. How bad you need the new C++ in your project? Do you have a budget for porting? How big? Do you have a team experienced in new VC++ and new C++? Do you have any idea of your audience preferences, hardware, possible impact on performance? Installer aspects has to be though over as well.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Start migrating code using VC2015 and then when VC2017 comes out in a few weeks, migrate to it. If your pattern of staying with a compiler holds true, that should get you through until the year 2036.

Hi ..

VS2015 is very good option. I have ported all my VC6 projects on vs2015.We are used to VC6 enviornment but we can be comfortable with vs2015 after one porting. Do learn all linker and compiler options .. especially Tool Set. Help is available on Net for syntax changes and error messages. We need to change syntax of some instructions.
    for e.g. localtime becomes localtime_s .. All string functions change.
    we cant write for(int i = 0 ; i <.....) we need to write
    int i;
    for (i = 0; i<.....)
    This job is somewhat tedious. Need patience.

Major problem will be there if you are using any external libraries. You may need to compile them on vs2015 with proper tool set and unicode options . For that you will need source code.

Convert one project ... and you will be very happy. Things have become much simpler .

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Code:
    for(int i = 0 ; i <.....) we need to write
    int i;
    for (i = 0; i<.....)
    The scope of for-based variable definitions changed. In VS2015 the scope is within the for loop only. In VC6 the scope is within the for loop and following statements within the same block. If you don't access i outside of the for loop then defining i within it is the correct way. If you access i outside of the for loop then it needs to be defined outside of the for loop.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Hi,

I suggest you hold your horses and wait for Visual Studio 2017 which is coming on March 7.